The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  The Hub itself
Reload this Page New thread about Rep
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

The Hub itself - Talking about the Hub itself     

The Hub itself - Talking about the Hub itself

New thread about Rep

Old 22-Apr-2009, 03:48 AM (03:48)     1        23652
mick

Default New thread about Rep

Also rep is a way to promote people who are posting in a positive manner. The sites I post at that use rep you give and receive rep from people who may disagree with you but liked your post. It is a form of encouragement.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2009, 05:22 PM (17:22)     2        23659
verte

May I entertain that thought without accepting it?

(re your sig)
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2009, 05:30 PM (17:30)     3        23660
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by verte View Post
May I entertain that thought without accepting it?

(re your sig)
Indeed you can. However if that is the case I would like to know why and what would get you to accept it. =D

I hope you are a good host and doing a good job entertaining the thought, be warned it is very ADHD. =D
Old 22-Apr-2009, 05:46 PM (17:46)     4        23661
verte

'way back on page one or two, I think, I talked about rep. I'm afraid I haven't changed my mind about it. But if you like, I will give some "rep" to you and Fizzle for starting some excellent threads over the last week.
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2009, 06:53 PM (18:53)     5        23679
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

All the above posts split off what was previously an old thread, in the interests of keeping everything straightforward.

~ Gurdur
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2009, 07:02 PM (19:02)     6        23681
mick

I am actually in the workings of making a strong argument for using the rep system I believe I will make a good case. =D
Old 22-Apr-2009, 07:03 PM (19:03)     7        23682
Gurdur

administrator

Righteo, talking about Rep:

yes, it can be used to encourage, and is welcomed by some when used so.

Unfortunately, it can also be abused far too much, and become far too much of a distraction in and of itself, with people worrying about their respective Rep rankings, not getting Rep, etc. And that's even before we get to the point of those who really misuse the Neg Rep.

There is a further point: while encouragement may very much be welcome, it may also become stultifying in effect. If people are scared about expressing an unpopular opinion only because of bad Rep or no Rep being received, over a long period such a Rep system could artificially twist and skew what people say, even if only Positive Rep was used as a system, with no Negative Rep.

Ideally, people should say what they think and what they genuinely stand for, and not be worried by possible Rep. I realise that that also means no encouragement, no use of even a Thank-You hack or so on, but on the whole, one pays a price for everything, and having a freer atmosphere to argue in, without the insiduous effects of worrying about Rep/Thanks, is a good bargain despite the price for feeling the lack of encouragement.

It also means that if people really want to encourage a poster on a particular post, they can add longer response posts with a bit more thoughtful content, rather than sticking to bonus Rep points or a Thank-You hack.
Old 22-Apr-2009, 07:04 PM (19:04)     8        23684
Gurdur

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I am actually in the workings of making a strong argument for using the rep system I believe I will make a good case. =D
Fair enough, I will be interested in your argument for using the Rep system; I added my post just above before seeing yours, but by all means, please feel very free to make that argument, and I and others will be happy to discuss it.
Old 22-Apr-2009, 11:38 PM (23:38)     9        23698
Fizzle

I'm fine either way.

Honestly, though (no, the above is not a lie), I much prefer appreciation being directly expressed (as, for example, verte's post above*). It's just better.

*Thank you and happy to do so.
Fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2009, 01:30 AM (01:30)     10        23709
Naiya
Doesn't make sense

Send a message via MSN to Naiya

On CF, they had a rep system (which generally sucked). But what I thought WAS cool was that someone could give you a little mini message saying something like "well said" or what have you without derailing a thread by just chiming in an agreement. Maybe we could have a system like that instead of an actual number or rep system. That way no one but you gets to see the messages.

Just throwing it out there.
Naiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2009, 01:45 AM (01:45)     11        23712
Fizzle

^^ agree.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 02:24 AM (02:24)     12        23715
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiya View Post
On CF, they had a rep system (which generally sucked). But what I thought WAS cool was that someone could give you a little mini message saying something like "well said" or what have you without derailing a thread by just chiming in an agreement. Maybe we could have a system like that instead of an actual number or rep system. That way no one but you gets to see the messages.

Just throwing it out there.
Actually thats perfect.....But one thing to keep in mind is that you leave a rep message for someone with out leaving a thread which I think would be important to keep and makes the whole user page thingy messages not a good stand in.....though they have other merits.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 07:56 AM (07:56)     13        23732
Gurdur

administrator

Quote:
.... someone could give you a little mini message saying something like "well said" or what have you without derailing a thread by just chiming in an agreement. Maybe we could have a system like that instead of an actual number or rep system. That way no one but you gets to see the messages. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
^^ agree.
PM's perhaps fulfill that function?

What advantages do you see in a Rep system that would not be there in using PM's? Serious question. It's a complex area of behaviour.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 01:44 PM (13:44)     14        23738
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurdur View Post
Quote:
.... someone could give you a little mini message saying something like "well said" or what have you without derailing a thread by just chiming in an agreement. Maybe we could have a system like that instead of an actual number or rep system. That way no one but you gets to see the messages. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
^^ agree.
PM's perhaps fulfill that function?

What advantages do you see in a Rep system that would not be there in using PM's? Serious question. It's a complex area of behaviour.
Well first off you have to click a link an enter a new window/page to send a pm. To give some one rep/a rep comment a small box opens up in the current page/window. That is big.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 04:38 PM (16:38)     15        23739
Fizzle

Lazy bum . But it is a point.

PM's are usually for more serious and/or important stuff. Small phrases really don't seem worth making a PM for.
Regardless, like I said, I'm fine either way.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 05:05 PM (17:05)     16        23741
janedoe
see jane run

zilla dude, i can't help but like you, you are too funny.
sending a pm is not work even for me. and i'm as lazy as they get.

i kind of don't like it, but i was on a board where some perv kept giving me special rep. it got way too special so i quit.
janedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2009, 05:44 PM (17:44)     17        23744
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
zilla dude, i can't help but like you, you are too funny.
sending a pm is not work even for me. and i'm as lazy as they get.

i kind of don't like it, but i was on a board where some perv kept giving me special rep. it got way too special so i quit.
Awe, Thank you! =D I guess you can't be that lazy... Sorry to hear about that. It's more then just laziness though, things like convenience and worth of message come into play. Its just easier and like Fizzle said pm seem to have a air of importance about them.
Old 23-Apr-2009, 05:47 PM (17:47)     18        23745
janedoe
see jane run

well don't sell yourself short ok? you guys are pretty important over here. i see a lot of new stuff since you came over.
janedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2009, 05:49 PM (17:49)     19        23746
mick

Ok, Say I reply to your post. My reply is in disagreement of your's, I may not like what you said but I can like how you said it, or felt you made a good point, or asked some good questions...etc.... So I click a box a text bat gets added to my screen and I send you a small message such as, Well said, Good/tough question(s), thank you, that was kind of you, i agree, etc. You see where I am going with this. Also for those who have nothing to add to a thread but what to send a tiny comment to some one it because easier and less intimidating to do so..

Peace
Mick
Old 23-Apr-2009, 05:54 PM (17:54)     20        23747
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
well don't sell yourself short ok? you guys are pretty important over here. i see a lot of new stuff since you came over.
See here is where such a way to send a message like I am suggesting would be good. I would send something like, "=D*blushes and smiles* Thanks, but with out your replies our new content is useless," comments like that would be best suited to something out side of a thread most of the time.

Also note, at the hangout I see no need for such a system but for sites where people with different opinions, beliefs, philosophies, etc it becomes much more important/useful.

Last edited by mick; 23-Apr-2009 at 06:01 PM (18:01).
Old 24-Apr-2009, 06:15 AM (06:15)     21        23880
Al Habeshi

I personally don't like it since,it envys some members who are equally wise but don't get the reps,it creates much problems.
Al Habeshi is offline   Reply With Quote