The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Science, medicine and skepticism
Reload this Page UFOs possible?
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

UFOs possible?

Old 17-Oct-2011, 04:43 PM (16:43)     1        44759
Sandra Price

Default UFOs possible?

Someone asked whether science is compatible with creation....If this was going to be a question asked seriously, it would have been approached by Glen Beck on Fox News.

Seriously on my part, I would like a thread discussing the UFOs and when did they first appear on earth?

I can think of nothing as frightening as trying to be a Christian during an honest discussion of Alien life possible in our galaxy or universe. I've read so many books on this subject and watch the History Channel's programs that I need to know how many free thinkers are open minded to this subject.
Sandra Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 01:15 AM (01:15)     2        44764
Seeker630

Whether life is possible in other parts of the universe is up for grabs. I tend to think that it probably exists in some form someplace out there. The universe is of such magnitude that I can't imagine that it doesn't. We just haven't found it yet. Or they haven't found us.

There is no sound evidence that earth has been visited by any life forms from some place out in the universe. So far there is nothing but anecdotal stories, unverifiable information, hoaxes and paranoia.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 03:27 AM (03:27)     3        44768
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

My thoughts are more or less what Seeker said, with the addendum that the history channel has a way of making really stupid things look halfway credible. I love to hate that channel, so very, very much.

Personally I tend to look at the number of stars and galaxies in the universe and think there -must- be life out there. We can't be alone or special if life is the logical chemical outcome of a planet like ours, and we cannot be the only Earth in the entire universe.

That said, our solar system and our planets are relatively young, and I would as soon not meet any of the other guys until we're properly spacefaring and such all on our own, since there's a strong likelihood that they're more advanced than we. >.>

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 07:52 AM (07:52)     4        44773
Grumpy
Crusty old Fart

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

With so many billions of stars with planets inside their 'Goldilocks Zones', it seems too unlikely to be seriously considered that this is the only planet to develop life.

We are already as sure as we can be that there is no intelligent life in our solar system other than our own. There may be some rudimentary living forms in places like under the ice on some of the moons of the giant gas planets.

If there was intelligent life on Alpha or Beta Centauri, we would be hearing traces of their commercial broadcasting from 2006 and before. We aren't.

If there is intelligent life visiting here from any distance at all, astronomically speaking, they are making HUGE efforts and expending HUGE resources to get here. Such an endeavor would have to be WORTH IT to them.

I just can't see them going to that kind of trouble just to butt-fuck a few hillbillies.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 11:45 PM (23:45)     5        44786
iamwombat

Evidence is a funny word, it can be interpreted differently in the same court room for instance. Hard, empirical evidence is usually a decent application, for science at least. I have an interesting book by a well educated lady (Lana Cantrell) called "The Greatest Story Never Told", no it's not a story that our Never told! lol It is a heavy tome, and one I haven't read in its entirety, but it seems about as succinct in developing an ancient astronauts theory as I know of in one book. A theory I share that is contemporary to astronomy is that GRB's pretty much rule out any one quadrant of space in a galaxy remaining safe for long enough to support an evolutionary period like we have 'evidence' of, here on earth. I think sentient life is pretty darn rare, but we'd be awfully narcissistic to believe it does not exist.
iamwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2011, 05:31 AM (05:31)     6        44789
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
...I just can't see them going to that kind of trouble just to butt-fuck a few hillbillies.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMGLOL!

THAT is FOR THE WIN!
Old 19-Oct-2011, 11:54 PM (23:54)     7        44795
muddleglum
Junior Marshwiggle

Welcome Sandra,

UFO is short for Unidentified Flying Object. From that definition, the earliest human who saw something flying by and said, whatzit? is the earliest observer. Or is that non-observer?

As for life in the universe, I would opine that the money should be spent on science that will be more practical. Yes, there may be life out there, and there may even be intelligent life out there, but I'm more interested in what I know exists but hasn't been checked out yet. What does the center of the earth look like, for instance? How about a probe floating in the atmosphere of Jupiter?

BTW, if there is intelligent life out there, why would it want us to know? Take a look at my picture and answer with a straight face.
muddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2011, 12:01 AM (00:01)     8        44797
iamwombat

I think if a space faring entity came across us, they would put Quarantined Warnings up, out beyond the ort cloud.
" I'm more interested in what I know exists but hasn't been checked out yet." Me too.
Old 23-Oct-2011, 06:11 PM (18:11)     9        44805
Sandra Price

We know that Carl Sagan believed in life on other planets and stars. The other night I head that Werner Von Braun also believed in life on other parts of the universe. Stephen Hawkin wrote something on this subject and who knows, someday maybe we can define the gods of ancients and set them aside along with our own gods, and respect them all.

The more we learn about physical science the faster America will lead all of us out of the world of terrorizing gods and into the world of understanding what is around us. The U.K. has been very successful in keeping a separation of church and state.
Old 24-Oct-2011, 01:44 AM (01:44)     10        44806
Seeker630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Price View Post

The U.K. has been very successful in keeping a separation of church and state.
Well that wouldn't take much compared to the U.S. would it? In America we have set the bar rather low haven't we?
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2011, 02:38 AM (02:38)     11        44807
iamwombat

"In America we have set the bar rather low haven't we?" LOL, too true, maybe that's why so many of us feel we are in limbo land.
Old 28-Oct-2011, 04:06 AM (04:06)     12        44818
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker630 View Post
Well that wouldn't take much compared to the U.S. would it? In America we have set the bar rather low haven't we?

....Ouch, lol, and yet so true.
Old 01-Nov-2011, 02:34 AM (02:34)     13        44837
mick

There is no evidence of alien visitation that is varifiable as truth. However aliens make alotta things make sense lol fills in the gaps … as an atheist im like so what doesn't mean anything. But I do love a good conspiracy maybe aliens are where we got gods from…
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Nov-2011, 09:27 PM (21:27)     14        44845
self-transforming machine elf

It's all in the egg.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 02:51 AM (02:51)     15        44849
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
It's all in the egg.
is that the same egg rome hatched from?
Old 11-Nov-2011, 10:36 PM (22:36)     16        44852
Sandra Price

What if we earthlings were part of a scientific experiment from outer space? I admit I watch the History Channel but my son does the space ships for the channel when they report sightings. I also have a library full of books on sightings that go back to the bible.

My main concern is that in my wandering around the internet I have noticed that many Americans cannot discuss or debate anything new in their lives. They seem to have turned off anything new in science and the thought that our planet might be heating up is like declaring war on their personal lives. Many do not read but get their information from television or the internet. I raised my kids without television and they breezed through their chosen universities. Both are open minded about everything that surrounds them.

My world is made up of Grand Opera and anything in print. If there is a superior alien being perhaps he can return and tweek a few brains here in America. Or do we dumb to death?
Old 12-Nov-2011, 12:11 AM (00:11)     17        44853
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

I don't think we're an experiment, but an example? That I could see.

"Now you see, young Bzzgrt, this is not how you want to teach your children to be, when you grow up..."
Old 13-Nov-2011, 02:43 AM (02:43)     18        44854
iamwombat

We're "silly asses" according to Asimov.
Old 17-Nov-2011, 09:05 AM (09:05)     19        44861
self-transforming machine elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
It's all in the egg.
is that the same egg rome hatched from?
This http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib97.txt which lead to
http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/l...-one-page.html

also Kenneth Grant's Outside the circles of time gives a better description then I can ever hope to give.

Last edited by 333; 17-Nov-2011 at 09:14 AM (09:14).
333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jan-2012, 04:37 AM (04:37)     20        44952
iamwombat

It wasn't a UFO, but...... I saw a cool meteor break into two and wink out. Competing city light was high, it was very bright, N.NW. to S.SE. Zipppp
Old 06-Jan-2012, 06:42 AM (06:42)     21        44955
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Nice!
Old 07-Jan-2012, 05:57 AM (05:57)     22        44959
iamwombat

Maku? Are you having unusually warm weather in your area? Snow?
Old 09-Oct-2012, 10:05 PM (22:05)     23        45533
mick

so about them ancient aliens
Old 10-Oct-2012, 01:27 PM (13:27)     24        45537
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Watching TV for solid data is a waste of time. Whether news on whatever channel, or Discovery, or History, or "educational" broadcast/documentary on PBS, all of those are biased according to 1. sponsors and 2. producers. Same with a lot of "info" online. Same with so many books. IMO we need to watch with that proverbial grain of salt! So many things we cannot explain we silly ass humans have credited to some sort of more than natural (supernatural) beings, whether gods or extraterrestrials. Makes for some interesting fiction in books/movies/TV.

So, UFOs? Who knows, really. But it would be so radically unique for us to be the only "intelligent" life in our universe or in the multiverse. Some form of life very possibly and probably has evolved somewhere out there. Whether it's like us or not is debatable.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Oct-2012, 01:40 PM (13:40)     25        45540
mick

Agreed.and just because they are out their does.not mean they have visited.. though I have seen a few ufo/unexplained things.
Old 22-Apr-2013, 02:12 AM (02:12)     26        45811
Sandra Price

I do much more than watch the History2 Channel. I am an addicted reader and even got into Dr. Michael Cremo's text books on his research of aliens as seen by the east Indians in their writings. I have read several of Phillip Coppens books and enjoy them.

It seems to be a closed subject here, so I will move on. I have never seen a UFO as I am a person run by the sun. I sleep when the sun leaves the sky. My husband who was a Physics Professor from UCLA and Caltech believed in the possibility of aliens from another universe and/or time period.
Old 23-Apr-2013, 03:39 AM (03:39)     27        45812
Never
Admin

administrator

UFO in it's pure meaning would be any object that is flying about and not identified. I'm sure those occur fairly regularly.

UFO as in from another planet - of course it's possible. I've never thought we were the only life that existed. I don't know if any alien life forms have managed the kind of technology it would take for such a long travel to get here, but it's certainly possible. Have we ever had an alien visit? I have no reason to believe so, but there could be info I don't have.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote