The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Science, medicine and skepticism
Reload this Page The evolution of a new language.
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

The evolution of a new language.

Old 04-Nov-2010, 01:21 AM (01:21)     1        41678
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!
Default The evolution of a new language.

A secondhand article from Dagny.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/no...fects-thought/

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Nov-2010, 01:50 AM (01:50)     2        41679
muddleglum
Junior Marshwiggle

Excellent.

Thanks to both you and Dagny, Makbawehuh.

Those who are teaching their infants to sign are doing them a favor, I believe. In the past, as the above article implies also, the focus was on teaching deaf children to speech-read (lip-reading) the language of the nation and signing was considered something evil because it was "too easy" for the child to use. But by the time the child got to school, their brains were too far behind to develop language skills properly. Grrrr!

<rant=medium>
In earlier studies, deaf children raised by deaf parents who used signs were miles ahead linguistically. This does not argue for dropping other methods of communication, but to use them in tandem. I'm supposed to be better than average in speech-reading, have rudimentary signing skills, and a cochlear implant, but if you want to save a lot of time, write or, better, type.
</rant>

+El Salvador got its signing mainly from the U.S.A. So when I went down there I easily conversed with the lady at the sewing place (sisteria?) long before I got much Spanish skills.

Last edited by muddleglum; 04-Nov-2010 at 02:31 AM (02:31). Reason: add+
muddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-2010, 01:38 PM (13:38)     3        41718
lifelinking

Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Scrabble Blast Champion!

Really interesting stuff this is.
lifelinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2010, 12:51 PM (12:51)     4        41729
Marian

Two years ago, I learned to sign using ASL (American sign language). I went as far as Level 3 and attended Deaf camp at BRCD ( http://www.deafcamp.ca/) where we were not allowed to speak at all. Everything had to be signed. If you spoke, they threw you in the lake. I think this was just an empty threat as I never saw that happen to anyone there although lots of times, I wished they had because using your voice took away from learning and the fun of trying to stay quiet. What a fantastic experience!

I think I'd still be signing now but I let my disability interfere because I didn't want to tell anyone that I really suck at expressive language. I can type but get me face to face and my brain falls out. I'm laughing now but I was afraid to tell anyone so I ran away. Easier to run then risk not being understood or worse be rejected. Anyway, not sure how that all came out of my mouth just now.

One thing I noticed during the few years I spent at BRCD was that hearing parents had the hardest time with 'allowing' their kids to sign. Most wanted the kid to lip-read or get an implant but the kids themselves were so overjoyed to just sign with their friends that I wouldn't have interfered if my kid had been deaf and liked signing. Everyone needs to feel they belong.
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-2010, 02:31 PM (14:31)     5        41731
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
..... but the kids themselves were so overjoyed to just sign with their friends that I wouldn't have interfered if my kid had been deaf and liked signing. Everyone needs to feel they belong.
THIS. This is the most important part. Pretty much every study shows that if the deaf are outcast and treated badly, they never get to develop their own languages; if there are enough of them, and social acceptance let alone support, they develop very rich signing languages.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Nov-2010, 02:43 AM (02:43)     6        41745
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurdur View Post
...If there are enough of them, and social acceptance let alone support, they develop very rich signing languages.

IMHO that's a hell of a lot more important than someone else's comfort. maybe it's because I spend so much time writing and roleplaying, but in my never humble opinion, stifling someone's vocabulary- signed or spoken or written or whatever- is just wrong. Taking away someone's ability to use words in any form is taking away their ability to express themselves, and if language isn't for expression, then what's it for?
Old 09-Nov-2010, 03:07 PM (15:07)     7        41792
Marian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurdur View Post
THIS. This is the most important part. Pretty much every study shows that if the deaf are outcast and treated badly, they never get to develop their own languages; if there are enough of them, and social acceptance let alone support, they develop very rich signing languages.
Here in Ontario, deaf kids were shipped off to provincial schools where they were forced to learn to read lips and some to speak. The kids rebelled and created their own sign. I think those schools still exist but I'm not sure how they are run now.

Makes me wonder how many other languages were created out of necessity and survival.
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2010, 02:36 AM (02:36)     8        41802
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Probably all of them, at least when language was first created.
Old 10-Nov-2010, 03:59 AM (03:59)     9        41804
homo hirsutus
Getting hairier by the minute.

We still have one of those in Virginia.

Quote:
One of the oldest schools in Virginia and the second of its kind in the world, the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind (VSDB), located in historic and scenic Staunton, VA, was established by an act of the Virginia General Assembly on March 31, 1838. As the school celebrates more than 170 years of continued excellence in educating deaf and blind children, it remains at the forefront of educational technology. The school utilizes some of the latest and most advanced audio-visual equipment and disability tailored computer applications in its classrooms to provide its students with the best education. Now, as in 1839, the arms of the school are open wide for the deaf and blind children of Virginia.
Here, "historic and scenic" is translated as "in the middle of nowhere boondocks-ville."
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote