The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Current events and Politics
Reload this Page Wildfires in the Western USA
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags:

Wildfires in the Western USA

Old 18-Jun-2012, 03:35 PM (15:35)     1        45190
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Wildfires in the Western USA

This is a link to check out the many wildfires out here in the west:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/

I'm near the High Park one in Colorado. It's a nasty one, 3rd in state history for acres burned so far, but now 1st in number of homes destroyed not counting outbuildings.

Even on the far east side of metro Denver I get a hint of the smoke. Those of us with respiratory problems are cautioned to stay indoors. I am, with doors and windows shut. While that does limit my outdoor activity, I am more worried about the firefighters who today will be fighting to contain that fire in a hot and dry day. So far it's less than half contained!

Also I feel so bad about the domestic and wild animals who are caught in any wildfire.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2012, 03:11 PM (15:11)     2        45232
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

So now I've got a grass plains fire to the east. The smoke this morning may be from that one or could be from the High Park one in the mountains to the west.

So staying inside with doors and windows shut, but sad that I couldn't keep windows open this morning to cool the house after days of near 100s and me with no A/C. Whew.
Old 27-Jun-2012, 04:10 AM (04:10)     3        45234
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

As an Australian, you have my understanding and sympathy on the wildfires. Real bastards, they can be.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2012, 04:48 AM (04:48)     4        45238
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Shadowfox: Take a trip to Oregon. We had rain yesterday, and damp today. So far, it's a very wet summer up here. Great for lettuce and beets, bad for tomatoes.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2012, 04:36 PM (16:36)     5        45241
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Love Oregon! Used to live in Brookings on the coast, taught up the Chetco River in a country school. Very damp climate indeed.

If not for it being too damp for my lungs and for National Jewish Center being here in Denver where it's dry, I'd move back in a heartbeat. I miss the coast route, the quiet beaches, but I can still get Tillamook cheese here!

but forest fires there can also be dangerous for respiratory problems. I had a good friend who lived there in Gold Beach some years back and wound up in the hospital from the smoke from a forest fire inland.
Old 28-Jun-2012, 03:44 AM (03:44)     6        45246
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Yeah; I'm out in Roseburg, which... It's in an area that is normally really mild on everything compared to the rest of the state, but this year "mild" just seems to mean "very wet".

And I will give Oregon two things: Tillamook cheese- Yes, it's pretty damned good cheese!

The other is beer. Or rather, ale. Holy crap, this is like, the Land of the Microbrewery. Nice, if you like ale... Which I do.

But yeah, once in a while, even we get our fires. Just... I suspect it's too damp to get too out of control this year.
Old 28-Jun-2012, 02:26 PM (14:26)     7        45251
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

I remember the loggers had to stop logging whenever the humidity got as low as 35%.

And mild is "normal" for the coast. We had roses blooming on christmas day with a wee dusting of snow on the ground.

Is there still a cheese factory in Bandon? Visited there once and saw how cheddar is made. Forget the name of the cheese tho. If memory serves, which it doesn't always, I think Tillamook is made in Coos Bay. Right or wrong?
Old 28-Jun-2012, 03:49 PM (15:49)     8        45255
Seeker630

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
..... I miss the coast route, the quiet beaches, but I can still get Tillamook cheese here!

but forest fires there can also be dangerous for respiratory problems. I had a good friend who lived there in Gold Beach some years back and wound up in the hospital from the smoke from a forest fire inland.
About those beaches. They may get problematic in the next couple of years because of the tsunami in Japan------------

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Japan-...132566203.html

Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jun-2012, 01:09 AM (01:09)     9        45261
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I remember the loggers had to stop logging whenever the humidity got as low as 35%.

And mild is "normal" for the coast. We had roses blooming on christmas day with a wee dusting of snow on the ground.

Is there still a cheese factory in Bandon? Visited there once and saw how cheddar is made. Forget the name of the cheese tho. If memory serves, which it doesn't always, I think Tillamook is made in Coos Bay. Right or wrong?
I'm not directly on the coast... About ... Gah, probably about a hundred, hundred and fifty miles inland, I think? We're on the I-5 route, about 80 or 90 miles south of Eugene.

<--- Isn't wearing a proxy condom, so it's not like you couldn't find out that much anyways.

I don't know where the cheese factory is, but I've heard of it, so I assume it's still open; I haven't been to Bandon (not that I remember, anyways), and Coos Bay I've been through... Twice, I think? So I'm not real familiar with what's there.

Ultimately my movement is pretty restricted based on things like my inability to drive (due to medical reasons), and the fact that I don't have a car. If family isn't going that way for some reason, I'm probably not going, and with both parents out of work, the "going" is a hell of a lot less than it was.
Old 29-Jun-2012, 05:07 AM (05:07)     10        45262
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

No car - you too? I quit driving about 4 or 5 years back. Sold the car. Decided I didn't want to find out I was no longer a safe driver by hurting someone. So I don't go a lot anymore either but I'm quite happy where I am. And being in such a large metro area not only protects me from the wildfires but gives me a lot of options for transport.

Of course, I chose to quit so that's different from having to quit. BTW, I, too, have a medical problem which is why I'm so happy to have National Jewish right here for me. Started there back in 94 and I'm sure the only reason i'm still around is thanks to them.

Anyway, I hope you're coping ok.
Old 29-Jun-2012, 07:24 PM (19:24)     11        45265
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Technically I'm physically capable of driving, I just choose to not go out and do so. I -know- it would be dangerous to have me on the road, even though I look totally fine.

The area I'm in isn't really uhm... Well, I'm in the city, and it has a population of 30,000, but this is a very poor area. The bus lines leave a great deal to be desired, and it if isn't pizza, there's not much in the way of delivery. We do have taxis, which I utilize, but anything outside of town is pretty prohibitive. Mind you, I live in an area where the next "city" is a good eighty, ninety miles away... So for most people, "Oh, it's only thirty miles away!" for things like social events leaves me going "Yeah... I uh, can't make it."

For the most part I don't mind, but then, I never relished driving to begin with. Having moved from a place with decent bus lines and lots of options, though, this area rankles a bit in that area.
Old 30-Jun-2012, 02:09 PM (14:09)     12        45268
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Update: Obama visited the Colorado Springs area (Waldo Canyon fire.) Federal aid promised. Homes destroyed. Worst - lives lost.

Smoke from the Flagstaff fire near Boulder is present in the Denver area, so that folks with respiratory problems need to stay inside. As the heat goes on, with the smoke present, I do not open up the house at night to cool it off.

Fortunately I do have the emergency rescue inhaler in case the smoke does get to me. When I go out, as I need to do this morning off and on to move the hose to water the dry dry dry lawn, I wear a mask. but I am still huffing and puffing.

But I am alive and still have my little house on the prairie. So it's all good.
Old 01-Jul-2012, 01:56 PM (13:56)     13        45270
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Looks like the 2 fires near me are nearly contained, the High Park and the Flagstaff. So last night I was able to leave the windows open to cool the house, no smoke smell.

When I checked, the info on the Waldo Canyon fire near Colorado Springs would not say, just that the data could not be found. I'll check later.
Old 05-Jul-2012, 11:56 PM (23:56)     14        45283
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Good luck!
Old 16-Jul-2012, 05:51 PM (17:51)     15        45300
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Just checked the fire map this morning. Colorado and New Mexico and states east are clear. All the other western states still have fires. Sad to say, the summer fire season is not over yet and fire danger here is still extreme.
Old 21-Aug-2012, 01:43 PM (13:43)     16        45439
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Here we go again

Except for Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico, every western state has wildfires. 41 count as of this morning.

I hope none of you have had to evacuate or are near enough to the smoke to be affected breathing wise.
Old 24-Aug-2012, 01:45 AM (01:45)     17        45443
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

I'm not!