The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Welcomes
Reload this Page Hello, I come with a flag pole, squirrels, and duct tape.
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Welcomes - For getting started     

Welcomes - For getting started

Hello, I come with a flag pole, squirrels, and duct tape.

Old 07-Aug-2011, 08:36 PM (20:36)     1        44345
ajw

Default Hello, I come with a flag pole, squirrels, and duct tape.

Noticed that you were missing a few items to make this place homey, don't fret I've brought those and more. Also noticed some familiar things I liked with some threads,people, and likes-dislikes here, sort of like a forum I had a tent setup in before, but that went tits up a few years ago and I hadn't the desire to get it resurrected again.

Can't say how long I'll stay given my like of snark, hate of non-self moderation, and random desire for conversation. Koontz said , "A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthropehe", I walk the line, I walk the line.
Other authors could of said it different/better maybe , Terry Pratchett, Heinlein, Greg Egan,.... and less formulaic ones out there too but we get what comes to mind and I'll try to visit your book-reading thread to get into that.

I have a dwarf waking up that I need to attend to soon, and besides that I'll try not to draw this out. ...... well, that couldn't wait, dwarf attended to, and watching Shaun the sheep, not bad for animation, 'Mary and Max' is better however.

Inspired by a bacon eating atheist Jew, I took the name ajw(J-ehovah's W-itness) in the cultural sense, 'a' being a particle and a double standing noun for atheist/agnostic depending how detailed or pantheistic one gets about a deity. Because of this, un-fortunately/fortunately for you I will not post my photo or have to many bread crumbs leading back to me, I still like to say hello from time to time with my mind numb fundie family and friends.

Plenty o likes and some dislikes , but enough for now, more drivel to come, and if you want to uncork me stand back from the spray.

Thick skinned , big heart, ajw.
ajw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Aug-2011, 08:51 PM (20:51)     2        44346
iamwombat

Oh my, an apostate! Plant your flag and fly it.
iamwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Aug-2011, 09:22 PM (21:22)     3        44350
ajw

It's a triple AAA rating Atheist, armchair Anarchist , Apostate, maybe as good as XXX.

In other news I'm reading the US only has a AAplus rating.
...goes to look for the eco finance thread.
Old 07-Aug-2011, 10:53 PM (22:53)     4        44352
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Oh! An apostate! For sin, for sin, o grievous sin! Wherefore shalt thy salvation come? *grins*

We have some squirrels, but are decidedly short on them. We definitely needed more flag poles and duct-tape though! Thanks!

Here we have coffee and bacon, and if Justicar is around, watermelons.

But we don't talk about that.

Welcome to the Hub!

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Aug-2011, 01:01 AM (01:01)     5        44356
iamwombat

Actually we love to talk about watermelons and how they are treated by some people, Coffee & bacon makes me think of the time I poured a cup of coffee on top of some bacon grease in a coffee cup, nasty. I do love both, separately. When I was younger and still going to the 'getting hit on the head' schools of thought, I studied with several congregations of JW's, 3 to be exact. In two states. Long story there. So at some point I knew alot of what the 'guys' know, which led some 'brothers' who didn't know me to think I was a baptised member (I wasn't, never have been drowned). At another point a 'circuit overseer' discovered this error in my make-up and told the rest of the 'guys' not to teach me anything else about the workings of the cult because I was already too informed without making the leap of faith. I was apostate material, but they couldn't call me one or curse my soul because by their rules you have to be baptised first and then use your knowledge to speak up or against their doctrine. Very serious stuff to them.
Old 08-Aug-2011, 01:07 AM (01:07)     6        44357
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Hi

Watermelons are TMI.

Welcome to the Hub, AJW!

Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Aug-2011, 04:07 AM (04:07)     7        44361
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Gurdur, I just noticed it says you've written 659 blog posts. Seven more, and you'll send any proper christians here running!
Old 08-Aug-2011, 05:01 AM (05:01)     8        44365
ajw

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've heard of the blue suppository, not the watermelon one though, that one must be a real eye opener.
I like bacon , it's even better with butter on it. I'll take my coffee diluted with milk,sugar and sometimes with hair of the dog or straight espresso shots, never can seem to get a tea ritual going but am optimistic about it.

I was going to necro thread post on The Gods That Failed us, but looks like once they get that old they aren't doable anymore.Noticed vertes posts too. Basic two thoughts on a monetary system I would like is that it should be transparent and open to competition. I have not looked to much into bitcoin yet but like the idea (I tend to like some kind of physicality back there behind the money, ie gold/property than fiat or fractional's). But I was more interested in the practical side of things if the shtf, but not to much one can do I suppose, maybe grow a vegetable garden and have a paid for self sufficient home which is a good idea anyway I suppose.

iamwombat , lucky man, you know I wonder if one could sneak in during a large district convention and get baptized, I think it would be possible and have some ideas if you need them, you could get your chance and 15 minutes of fame. The latest rage nowadays seems to be attending the memorial and eating the cracker and drinking the wine.

I'm not so lucky , my wife still attends, I'm not DF'd yet at least, although I did wish 2 people happy birthday this month and there is some evidence of it on someones cell phone - ssshhhhh ,very serious. They(elders and probably the gossip vine) do know(not most of my family yet) that I don't believe, don't think most people know what to make of me.

They can be exclusionary if they want, I wont and I'll generally be nice without provocation. The wife and I just finished the 3 day assembly , bat shit crazy stuff, but so is love.
Old 11-Aug-2011, 10:23 PM (22:23)     9        44416
iamwombat

I give them credit where they refuse to celebrate holidays that are obviously pagan in origin, and not to egotize with ones own birthday. I had major problems with all the various 3 applications of nearly every single thing said in either book of the bible (contemporary, future and past) as well as what you'll experience if they work on getting your wife to leave you because your holding her back. They do better research than nay organized religion I've studied up on. I attended one Hall where this little old lady would always eat the body and drink the blood.
Old 12-Aug-2011, 01:42 AM (01:42)     10        44418
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwombat View Post
I give them credit where they refuse to celebrate holidays that are obviously pagan in origin...
I don't. *pouts* Everyone knows that pagans have more fun.

Quote:
...and not to egotize with ones own birthday.
....But why else do you get a day off work to sleep in and lay in bed, while meditating upon the fact that you've made absolutely no progress towards anything you actually care about since this day last year?

Of course, then you need cake and ice cream to stave off the depression.

Birthdays are excellent markers for such things. *sagenod*
Old 12-Aug-2011, 07:08 AM (07:08)     12        44421
ajw

If I ever celebrate my birthday I'm going to have to have a cake that looks like someones head has been chopped off as the cake.

Not into theological argumentation much now a days, but appreciated this ex witnesses take on the birthday thing http://www.watchtowerletters.com/birthdays.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwombat View Post
...if they work on getting your wife to leave you because your holding her back.....
Her first reaction was to divorce me. We had many discussions and were settled and had understanding for 5 years, otherwise I wouldn't have had a baby, but there are the flare ups now and again. I encourage her to do what makes her happy and support her the best I can. The door is always open at my house (not in a mean way but out of love).
Old 08-Sep-2012, 02:36 AM (02:36)     13        45463
ajw

Default Well hey I'm back, can't believe it's another year already

So I've been gone awhile,
Got distracted with a lot of work(I'm basically Winston Smith from 1984).
Went on vacation, visited 3 states and saw the family and had good times,
Ran a half marathon and am training for a whole by year end,
Learned to ride a motorcycle via the MSF and getting a license this week.
Oh, and I went to a religious assembly, cause you know they rock!, where we got the Sparlock warrior wizard DVD. I wrote a post about it and found my old email which lead me back to this joint.

If I remember I had some homework on Godel I was going to write long ago but I can't find it in searching the forum anymore, may look into that topic again as it's a fun one.

I'm perusing things, but catch me up if you will, What'd I miss?
Old 08-Sep-2012, 07:12 AM (07:12)     14        45465
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Welcome back!
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2012, 01:25 AM (01:25)     15        45578
mick

you missed my infamous return
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2012, 01:27 AM (01:27)     16        45579