The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Welcomes
Reload this Page Newbie from the Desert
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Welcomes - For getting started     

Welcomes - For getting started

Newbie from the  Desert

Old 16-Oct-2011, 06:45 PM (18:45)     1        44753
Sandra Price

Default Newbie from the Desert

Been an Athiest since 1947 when I found "Origin of the Species" in my school library. It all made sense.
Sandra Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2011, 09:52 PM (21:52)     2        44754
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Hi

Welcome to the Hub, Sandra Price!

Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2011, 10:48 PM (22:48)     3        44755
Sandra Price

Thank you for the lovely welcome. I have been an Atheist longer than most but today I saw the 49ers beat the Detroit Lions which has to have been a miracle. It was the worst damn game for the 49ers I have ever seen....I don't believe in miracles.

I hope to be able to have some good conversations with other Atheists here. I am a Secular Humanist and was a member of CFI after meeting a member of the CFI board. They are working Atheists and are helping to bring back the Separation of Church and State to America.

Do I have to log in every time I want to post here? That seems a bit much...no?
Old 16-Oct-2011, 10:50 PM (22:50)     4        44756
Never
Admin

administrator

Hello and welcome to the Hub.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 03:12 AM (03:12)     5        44766
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Hello and welcome! You should be able to set it to remember you... I can't remember the last time I had to log in when I wasn't at work. Do i even remember my password anymore? Oshi-

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 04:55 AM (04:55)     6        44770
iamwombat

Welcome!
I'm a football fan, and I'm wondering?? Niners fan, from the desert......Nevada N.W. portion of the state?

Okay, I peeked. Palm Desert....well now, you should be a Chargers fan by proximity.
iamwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 01:37 PM (13:37)     7        44777
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Price View Post
... Do I have to log in every time I want to post here? That seems a bit much...no?
Sorry, missed this before. When you log in, make sure the box "Remember me" is ticked - then you won't need to log in again next time you visit.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 08:17 PM (20:17)     8        44781
Sandra Price

Wombat. I am closer to Los Angeles but we don't have a pro team at this time. I've been a 49er fan for as long as they were a team. I had a desert iquana when I lived in Arizona and my yellow lab took naps with him in the shade of our orange tree. They were great pals. We had a hawk fly down and pick up the iguana and the dog was too old to help the poor thing. We found the body in the wash and buried him on the desert.
Old 18-Oct-2011, 09:18 PM (21:18)     9        44782
iamwombat

I've cheered for the Niners before, usually in the play-offs and during the Montana years. L.A. may end up with the Chargers, I'm a San Diegan originally. Your current desert is very near and dear to me as a sort of stomping ground, 29 Palms. That picture is Charlotte & Gollum, both 'past' family members. They got along quite well. Sorry to hear of the hawk incident , when outside, Gollum was particularly conscious of fly-overs and not to fond of open areas without cover nearby.
Old 19-Oct-2011, 05:32 PM (17:32)     10        44791
Sandra Price

We could have used Montana in that last game. He was magic!

My young iguana was very tame for a wild critter. He got so accustomed to my dog sleeping with him that he might have felt a sense of safety that just wasn't there. My dog was 17 when she died and had slowed up a lot. She spent her youth chasing seagulls in San Simeon and in all her years, never caught one or even got close. She was a service dog who worked with children with cancer. We would have her fur sterilized so the kids could ride her. She was a big lab with a gentle nature. She loved that iguana. My dog also raised 3 black cats who had been abandoned and Kate took on the raising of all of them. I still have one who is 21 years old. Kate died 3 years ago and I miss her every single day. I'm too old to train another dog but I did pick up a black kitten at the pound much to the disgust of my 21 year old Emma cat. She could go at any time and I need some live thing to watch football with me.
Old 19-Oct-2011, 11:53 PM (23:53)     11        44794
iamwombat

Is Emma a Manx?
Old 20-Oct-2011, 03:27 PM (15:27)     12        44799
Sandra Price

No, she came with a black tail. I have no idea if she has any fancy blood line but she is the most gentle loving cat I could ever imagine. My cats come from some kind of abused background and Emma was thrown out of a truck along with another tiger stripe who did not make it.

Months before, my Doberman had died of old age and I replaced her with a lovely yellow lab pup. The pup and kitten hit it off and were inseparable until the dog's death of old age left Emma without a mother. I had picked up two more pound kittens who were as close to being insane than any animal ever under my care.

A lovely calico attacked me so viciously that I needed stitches in my arm. I had her put down and the other one (same litter) attacked my leg as I was leaving for a board meeting and I grabbed a towel and headed for the meeting. I bled all over the conference room and was taken to the hospital where 9 stitches closed the wound. That cat was put down the next day. My vet explained that there are often entire litters of out of control kittens.

Just after Kate died, I tried again at the pound and came home with the prettiest black kitten who had been abused and was full of scars and terrified of being handled. I had retired from work and she became my full occupation. I got her under control and she is now my lap cat. She still runs away when I have company but after some temper tantrums where Emma was attacked, I had the baby declawed. I've never done this before but she has never been outside and never will venture out of the house.

I now have a peaceful home life. I earned it! I'm old but determined to outlive Emma. Her digestive system is slowing down and my new vet has prescribed a laxative for her and she is in pretty good health. My youngest daughter has offered to take the Baby if I should croak before Emma. I will take Emma with me.

We will be scattered under a large oak tree. The purpose is to add nitrogen to the soil. We, of course, will be cremated first as I hate littering the environment.
Old 28-Oct-2011, 03:42 AM (03:42)     13        44812
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Price View Post
We will be scattered under a large oak tree. The purpose is to add nitrogen to the soil. We, of course, will be cremated first as I hate littering the environment.

This was very sweet, and actually made me cry.

Those poor baby kitties... *sighs*
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote