The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page Food in general:  Peanuts and Peanut Butter
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: ,

Peanuts and Peanut Butter

Old 28-Feb-2013, 07:03 PM (19:03)     1        45774
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Cook_2 Peanuts and Peanut Butter

Some like it. Some don't. If you don't like either, tell why. If you like either, what kind, style, brand. Recipes?

I "love" them both. Plain peanuts, roasted, unsalted, in shell or out. Eat out of hand and sometimes use in recipes, Asian or African.

Peanut butter goes with just about everything for me. Prefer smooth rather than crunchy. Fave brand is Adams unsalted creamy, natural tho not organic. It is the old fashioned kind with no added sugar and other ingredients, so that the oil separates out and I store the jar upside down till opening. Then I stir the butter till it's all smooth and together.

If I can get to the store that has the grinder machine, I get fresh ground where I can watch the peanuts being ground and choose exactly how much I want. That is for me the best.

I use it in all sort of recipes, such as adding to tomato sauce, oatmeal. The best thing about peanut butter is the glycemic index which is very low and reduces the GI of whatever it's used with.

Anybody have a recipe for peanut butter pancakes?
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2013, 08:39 PM (20:39)     2        45775
Seeker630

On the rare occasions that I allow myself some, I get the deli stuff made right here in my local grocery store (Publix). But for a commercial variety, I prefer Jiff creamy style. I don't get either very often since they are so calorie intensive.

Oh-----and roasted and salted in the shell. Which I'm not supposed to eat because of the sodium content.

Dammit.

Last edited by Seeker630; 28-Feb-2013 at 08:47 PM (20:47).
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Mar-2013, 03:42 AM (03:42)     3        45783
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I have a love/hate relationship with peanuts and peanut butter. When I can get the adams stuff or fresh ground, I'll occasionally eat it, but I much prefer other kinds of nut butter. Where peanut butter gets me, and gets me hard, is the land of peanut sauce.

Peanut butter and chocolate are delicious, but imho, this is nothing compared to the divine beauty of the marriage between peanut butter and coconut.

So... Yeah, I don't care much for peanuts by themselves, period, as nuts or as butter, but can adore them when they're mixed into the right things.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2013, 03:49 PM (15:49)     4        45791
AspenMama

The occasional peanut butter and honey sandwich is an old comfort food for me. I don't eat peanut butter very much anymore but I definately prefer the crunchy all natural kind. In my plant based vegan recipe attempts I often use cashew butter to help make a cheesy creamy sort of sauce.

I buy raw, unsalted nuts and try to eat about a quarter cup daily on this plant based vegan diet. But if I've had meat or something else fatty that day, I'll skip it.

My husband must always have creamy peanut butter and bread on hand. If I fix a dinner he doesn't love, (heavy on the healthy veggies) I'll see him get some toast and peanut butter shortly after.
AspenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-Apr-2013, 07:04 AM (07:04)     5        45799
Shake
mostly harmless

I love both. Peanuts should be salted and dry roasted. Peanut butter should be creamy.

Now, unfortunately, I can't have any of it in my house since my oldest has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy. He doesn't eat things which "may contain" nuts as well as items which "may have been processed" in/around equipment which has handled nuts. The latter we do have in the house, although he doesn't go near it. This was hard on both my wife and I, but of course, we decided his health trumped our desire for such foods. I can eat it at work, provided I'm not going to see him immediately afterward. When my mother makes peanut butter cookies at Xmas time, she brings me a sealed Ziploc bag, which usually doesn't even come into my house. Then I just take it to work where I can enjoy them.
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2013, 06:47 PM (18:47)     6        45801
Seeker630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
----------I can eat it at work, provided I'm not going to see him immediately afterward. When my mother makes peanut butter cookies at Xmas time, she brings me a sealed Ziploc bag, which usually doesn't even come into my house. Then I just take it to work where I can enjoy them.
I don't understand; how does you eating something affect your son? Just curious.
Old 20-Apr-2013, 03:13 AM (03:13)     7        45805
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Folks with a severe peanut allergy can have a nasty allergic reaction (the kind that sends you to the emergency room) just from coming into contact with the residue. Residue the food was processed with on equipment, residue on your hands and mouth after eating...

I have a friend who's daughter is allergic to peanuts like that as well. I feel bad for them.
Old 20-Apr-2013, 05:00 PM (17:00)     8        45807
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Allergy to peanuts is scarey indeed. And so many things have peanuts or some form thereof in them that you have to be extremely careful in reading all ingredients - and extremely watchful in restaurants!
Old 20-Apr-2013, 05:02 PM (17:02)     9        45808
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Peanut butter sandwiches

Peanut butter and honey. Yum.

. . .and jelly of any kind.
. . .and ketchup.
. . .and pickles.
. . .and bananas.
. . .and what else?

Oh, yeh, what kind of bread? or crackers?
Old 24-Apr-2013, 02:27 AM (02:27)     10        45821
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Peanut butter and honey. Yum.

. . .and ketchup.
. . .and pickles.

OH MY SCIENCE, EW!
Old 02-Jun-2013, 07:19 PM (19:19)     11        46874
AbsurdWalls
Resident Naysayer

I have a memory of eating peanut butter as a kid which was the most amazing delicious thing I have ever tasted. No peanut butter I have had since then has compared to it.

It had some of the same flavour as other peanut butters but a very different emphasis. It was more bitter and nutty, whereas all other peanut butters I have tried have been quite fatty and creamy. I am still hopeful that it is a different type of peanut butter that I haven't found yet, rather than it being some development of my tastebuds since my childhood that has changed the way things taste to me.

Edit: I kind-of remember this other, superior, peanut butter being darker in colour too.
AbsurdWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Jun-2013, 05:49 AM (05:49)     12        46908
Never
Admin

administrator

I'd never tasted peanut butter until I was about 6 or 7 and a neighbor served peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to myself and their daughter for lunch.

What was this stuff? yummmm

I too like the Jiff creamy, though Skippy is ok. I've never had freshly made, though I'd like to try it sometime.

Whole nuts are ok now and then but not a big fan and I have no preferences.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Jun-2013, 08:12 AM (08:12)     13        46912
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Bitterness in peanut-butter not necessarily a good thing at all; bitterness is too often a sign of fungal contamination, and you seriously do not want to meet too much of the fungus of peanuts, since it is a real bastard of a killer in large quantities.

You can heat up peanut butter to help make peanut sauce for Indonesian or Malaysian dishes. Warning: peanut butter holds an incredible amount of heat, so you can easily burn your mouth if not careful when tasting your cooking. You can also do this for devilled eggs. I always add a little bit of honey, only a tad, plus tons of chilis or tobasco sauce for this (devilled eggs or sauce for Indonesian food), plus some Worcestershire sauce thrown in.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Jun-2013, 02:32 PM (14:32)     14        46916
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Sadly I've now given up peanuts and peanut butter. Some sources say that peanuts themselves are carcinogenic tho I think it's the aflatoxin the fungus creates. Some companies who make peanut butter do say they guarantee fungus free peanuts in making their product but. . . . Now that I already have cancer, I'm taking no chances! Dang.
Old 03-Jun-2013, 04:00 PM (16:00)     15        46922
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

I seriously would not worry. As long as your peanut butter is made by a reputable ,company under regulation, there should be no real problems.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Jun-2013, 01:54 PM (13:54)     16        47109
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

I use Adams and they are ones who "guarantee" to use only fungus free peanuts and do not put sugar and other additives in theirs. And I do miss my peanut butter! Thanks. Maybe it's worth the "risk."
Old 15-Jun-2013, 08:25 PM (20:25)     17        47313
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

I've come to the conclusion that everything is a carcinogen; I saw a study once that said bananas caused cancer, and that's when I decided to just stop worrying about it too much.

Gurdur... You put peanut butter in your devilled eggs? I have never even -heard- of such a thing. Could I get your recipe?
Old 16-Jun-2013, 04:21 PM (16:21)     18        47319
alicat
faithless and unreasonable

Looked it up on medline since I am about 90% vegetarian and do eat a lot of peanut butter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23761295

I'll keep eating it but if I had cancer already or hepatitis probably would not.
alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2013, 08:40 PM (20:40)     19        47336
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Thanks for that link. I'd not realized that maize (corn) can also be infected!
Old 01-Aug-2013, 10:39 PM (22:39)     20        47579
Shake
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker630 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
----------I can eat it at work, provided I'm not going to see him immediately afterward. When my mother makes peanut butter cookies at Xmas time, she brings me a sealed Ziploc bag, which usually doesn't even come into my house. Then I just take it to work where I can enjoy them.
I don't understand; how does you eating something affect your son? Just curious.
Sorry, just realized I'd never responded to this post.

The oils could be on my skin, or I could have the scent on my breath, and if he were close enough, it could be enough to cause a reaction. Just this morning at breakfast though, someone 2 seats away from him had a pancake infused with peanut butter and he didn't react at all. But as his parent, it would be different if it were me eating it, as I might likely be in closer contact to him.

Shortly after we had found out about his allergy, we were at a Scouting event and the activity his group was supposed to do first was making pinecone bird feeders, where they put PB on the pine cone and then roll it in bird seeds. Just being inside, we could smell it and his face started turning somewhat red. We just stayed away and moved on to the other activities. His levels have gone down, but we still keep our guard up, and he has to carry an Epi-pen if we go out to eat.
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2013, 05:01 PM (17:01)     21        47657
AspenMama

Lately I've been using sunflower seed butter which I love now. Shake- can your son eat that? A little tot at my youngest daughter's preschool who is allergic to peanuts can eat it.
AspenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Dec-2013, 02:00 AM (02:00)     22        47662
Seeker630

OK there's a recipe I have got to try. I am currently reading a Dean Koontz novel, and the protagonist can see the ghost of Elvis. He mentions at one point that one of Elvis's favorite dishes was a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Oh I picked up the peanut butter at the market tonight, and I already have the banana.

Ooh Ooh Ooh la la!
Old 23-Dec-2013, 12:19 AM (00:19)     23        47663
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

You know if Elvis liked it, it's gotta be good. Fried or plain. I've never tried it fried - gotta do that.

Ever try peanut butter and pickles? Read that in some mystery years back. Not bad with either sweet or dill pickles.