The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  A strolling minstrel - media & society
Reload this Page Charity for the dead
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Charity for the dead

Old 06-Apr-2011, 02:07 AM (02:07)     1        43290
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!
Default Charity for the dead

There are about 200 unclaimed sets of ashes at local hospitals, and my mother has recently been hunting down families to try and help people claim them and get them proper memorials. Her decades of work with genealogy has been of incalculable use in this, but it's come to a point where she would either like to start a nonprofit to help families get the ashes and put them someplace appropriate, or find an organization that already does this that she can join.

Does anyone know of such an organization, and/or how to get started?

*on a mission*

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Apr-2011, 05:15 AM (05:15)     2        43292
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

I know people who are professsional in running charities. I can ask them.

For the rest: I know people who go hunting down the otherwise undiscovered bodies of armed forces personnel who died in WW2; and I know people who do short funerals for abandoned babies of unknown names who died either before reaching hospital or who died despte treatment. I do not know anyone who does unclaimed ashes.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Apr-2011, 05:52 AM (05:52)     3        43295
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I figured there were as far as the www2 vets were concerned, but I didn't know who they were or where to start. Thanks, Gurdur...

...She and I were discussing it after my call with my father; her latest "finding people to claim the ashes" thing has turned into a huge thing. Family, friends, and members of the historical and genealogical societies from California, Oregon, and Idaho are all coming for this memorial. It's very heartwarming, cause my understanding is that this is a family that's had a lot of trouble with mental illness, a lot of trouble communicating, so pulling them together, once, is good to see. Sad that it's for a funeral, but at least they're talking and building friendships and support nets that they may not have had before.

My understanding is that it will likely run in the local papers when it happens. I'll post about it, because it's just very sweet.
Old 06-Apr-2011, 06:01 AM (06:01)     4        43296
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makbawehuh View Post
.... I'll post about it, because it's just very sweet.
Make sure to, please. This subject would be great to blog about from beginning to end too.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Apr-2011, 06:06 AM (06:06)     5        43297
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Well, I missed the beginning and I don't have all the details by a long shot, but my understanding is that Mom, since she was having trouble knowing where to go for records on living people and where they are -now-, hit up the genealogical and historical records until they uncovered birth certificates and shit for people who were living... So they ended up with nieces and nephews and cousins of the guy galore. It's been a project, and I kind of like her approach.

But then, I have a deep appreciation for going out of the way to get what you want, when there's no straight path that's sure and the out of the way is the most efficient.
Old 07-Apr-2011, 01:27 PM (13:27)     6        43300
Seeker630

for Makbawehuh---------------

I've done extensive genealogy too. In order to find charitable or volunteer org's that do this kind of thing, I'd suggest that you contact some funeral directors or others in the business, like cemeteries or maybe your local medical examiners
/coroner's office.

Trying to track down living relatives is a bitch, since any state I know of has legal restrictions on who can apply for information like birth or death certificates, marriage licenses etc. Usually it's restricted to family. I did a lot of work on my project in Canada, and there you can't get anything until it's 100 years old unless you are a spouse or child of the deceased. I know I have relatives there currently living but cannot contact them because of this. I played hell getting a copy of my own father's birth certificate. It was expensive and took months to get it.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Apr-2011, 03:57 PM (15:57)     7        43301
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Thanks, Seeker! That is an awesome idea... I'll pass it along.
Old 27-Apr-2011, 10:14 PM (22:14)     8        43487
self-transforming machine elf

and Hellnotes/ but I guess wrong kind of gifts to the dead.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2011, 11:04 PM (23:04)     9        43489
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Well, in my case it is less looking for way to appease the dead, than to make sure they were taken care of and associated with their families...

Thanks, though! This would be great with the blog post Gurdur did on the subject. ^__^
Old 27-Apr-2011, 11:41 PM (23:41)     10        43491
Seeker630

Talk about superstition-------this may even surpass Catholicism in the land of the silly creatures.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote