The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Religion and Atheism in general
Reload this Page A Question for the Atheists Here
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: , , ,

A Question for the Atheists Here

Old 21-Jul-2012, 01:14 PM (13:14)     31        45314
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Sad that you didn't run into the Wiccans I have. Mostly here in the Denver Metro area the ones I met were highly tolerant and non dismissive of other religions. Generally the young males who wanted in were drawn by the possibility of sex! Which didn't always happen to their chagrin. The Diannic covens I met were not men haters but just simply more comfy in the intimate sharing of lives with other women. Many were married or had SOs. If I'd not been so content with the coven I was studying with, I might have joined one of those! But mine did often have separate gatherings just for the women and girls.

Another thing I found is that most were compassionate about other people. And not preaching about Wiccca at all. Tho I do admit I ran into a couple of ladies and not the men who were a bit standoffish, about those who were seeking.

One funny tale: the local group of Wiccans meets often. One meeting but I forget around which celebration met in a xian church hall for fun and games. My high priestess was in charge of presenting a play about the goddess. Since I was the elder of that coven, she chose me to portray the goddess. Which I did with a costume I had fun putting together and a black mysty translucent veil = so that the face of the goddess would not be seen! Some folks spoke to her about their surprise that she had not chosen this other high priestess to be the goddess; that was one I particularly avoided due to her negative "vibes." She fielded the comments quite well; and later she got a lot of comments about how right she was to have chosen me. Well, I am a bit of an actress, knowing how to stage drama, just as she was! Yup, we had this rowdy group struck silent with our presentation - her writing and my acting. Well, I was acting but dunno about the other players. . . .

Last edited by Shadowfox; 21-Jul-2012 at 01:23 PM (13:23).
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2012, 02:26 AM (02:26)     32        45323
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Sad that you didn't run into the Wiccans I have. Mostly here in the Denver Metro area the ones I met were highly tolerant and non dismissive of other religions.
I've run into a few such, but like I said... They were older, and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like that's getting passed on too much. Not where I've seen, anyways.

Quote:
Generally the young males who wanted in were drawn by the possibility of sex! Which didn't always happen to their chagrin.
I am shocked! /sarcasm

Yes, my understanding is that's a fairly common story. It makes me lol and shake my head.

Quote:
The Diannic covens I met were not men haters but just simply more comfy in the intimate sharing of lives with other women. Many were married or had SOs. If I'd not been so content with the coven I was studying with, I might have joined one of those! But mine did often have separate gatherings just for the women and girls.
Here's where you and I have some divergence... The local Dianics that I know of are mostly around the area of either a) the local commune (Yes, we have one of those. Definitely a "lolwut?" situation when I found out about it), or are b) in some way affiliated with the folks there. It ends up not being one coven, but several closely knit ones. Suffice it to say, the ones I've met (usually in the aforementioned witchy-shop) aren't folks I get along with once certain subjects come up. For all that I will happily rant about men when one pisses me off (the gods know, it crops up in my blog!), I do generally like men. The general sense of... Not necessarily hatred all the time, or even usually... but disdain, perhaps? for the opposite sex irks me to no end.

Quote:
Another thing I found is that most were compassionate about other people. And not preaching about Wiccca at all. Tho I do admit I ran into a couple of ladies and not the men who were a bit standoffish, about those who were seeking.
Again, this is something I've found more among older wiccans than younger ones, much to my concern. Considering how fundamental "don't preach" is to paganism on the whole, one would think they'd do a better job of not ranting about the evils of Christianity to whoever stands around long enough to listen. It's not evangelism really, but the anger blows in weird and harmful directions.

Overall I've found that ultimately, Wiccans are people, with all the same foibles that come with them. They may be compassionate, but that compassion can still be skewed by bias, and many people who claim they've changed their beliefs, haven't tackled the underlying issues that they claim caused the change. So on top of whatever their original issues were, there's the "anger at what they came from", and nothing really changes.

Quote:
One funny tale: the local group of Wiccans meets often. One meeting but I forget around which celebration met in a xian church hall for fun and games. My high priestess was in charge of presenting a play about the goddess. Since I was the elder of that coven, she chose me to portray the goddess. Which I did with a costume I had fun putting together and a black mysty translucent veil = so that the face of the goddess would not be seen! Some folks spoke to her about their surprise that she had not chosen this other high priestess to be the goddess; that was one I particularly avoided due to her negative "vibes." She fielded the comments quite well; and later she got a lot of comments about how right she was to have chosen me. Well, I am a bit of an actress, knowing how to stage drama, just as she was! Yup, we had this rowdy group struck silent with our presentation - her writing and my acting. Well, I was acting but dunno about the other players. . . .
This ^^^. Awesome anecdote.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote