The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page Gardening:  Yarding
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags:

Yarding

Old 01-Aug-2012, 02:17 PM (14:17)     1        45347
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Yarding

Been doing lots of yardwork that I call yarding, rather than the usual concept of gardening: adjusting landscaping, moving small rocks, pruning back overgrowth and deadwood. Whew!

Now if I had the energy, I do have the space, I'd have lots of composting going on. But it's just me doing the work - except for the strenuous stuff for which I get help - and I'm a not so healthy late 70s!

But I love getting out and puttering around, even tho it may take me a whole lot longer to get the yarding bits done. Out in the fresh air and in the sunshine keeps me content - and my dog delighted to be out with me and play a bit.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Aug-2012, 05:20 PM (17:20)     2        45396
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

So this morning while it was still cool, especially in the shade, I went out to prune the deadwood on the lilacs on the west side of the east fence. I managed to do one and fill the smaller trash barrel. Also I lopped down overgrowth and the stray currant bushes coming in from under the fence.

Surveyed what other stuff needs to be done but sat on the patio while I did that. Just enjoyed being outside in my own back yard, and watching Jackson run and bugle as coonhounds do.

Another whew! But I am pleased that I am still able to get some done even tho it does take a lot longer. No rush. One bush at a time. One step at a time.
Old 11-Aug-2012, 01:09 AM (01:09)     3        45400
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

*hits "like"*

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2012, 01:11 PM (13:11)     4        45482
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

After this last really tough siege of acute bronchitis and incipient pneumonia, I was sitting out on the patio to get some sun and outside air. As I looked around my oh so pleasant yard, I realized I am so washed out this week that any, absolutely any form of yard or garden care is at the moment quite beyond my strength. Only last year I'd quit mowing and am having it done; I do have help with pruning from the county chore service for us oldsters who want to age in place.

But it came to me that I am tired of doing so much outside when it's getting harder every year. Time to enjoy and let younger muscles do some work! So I'm taking gardening off my hobby/interest list! Just going from now on to take care of the indoor plants which do keep multiplying.

Of course, I'll putter around as I feel like doing so but no more of the strenuous moving small boulders and rearranging landscaping! I'll continue to drag the hose around to water the bluegrass, to do weed patrol, easy little things. And dog Jackson will have his yard for romping as will any dogs coming after.

Last edited by Shadowfox; 18-Sep-2012 at 01:12 PM (13:12). Reason: the usual - typo
Old 19-Sep-2012, 02:00 AM (02:00)     5        45488
mick

pictures?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2012, 02:11 AM (02:11)     6        45489
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Sorry, no digital cam or smart phone, just those fotos from the throwaway cams, and no scanner.

But since I'm sometimes asked, I might ask a friend with the smart phone to take some and load for me. Just a thought.
Old 19-Sep-2012, 02:42 AM (02:42)     7        45490
mick

you can get disposable cameras with usb/flash/sim we/ now a days and where you get your film developed can save them on dvds

But yeah get your friend over =D
Old 19-Sep-2012, 01:13 PM (13:13)     8        45493
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

For sure better the friend since she knows how to upload and I don't - just a computer semi literate here, an old luddite more or less! Just so many new things to learn I prioritize as to what interests me.
Old 19-Sep-2012, 01:32 PM (13:32)     9        45495
mick

Like yarding!!! Lol
Old 20-Sep-2012, 02:21 AM (02:21)     10        45496
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Well, if working in the garden is gardening, then. . .
Old 20-Sep-2012, 02:44 AM (02:44)     11        45497
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Well, if working in the garden is gardening, then. . .
you could say landscaping it covers almost everything.

but yarding makes sense to me i knew what i meant when i read it.

i just added to spell checker
<3
Old 29-Sep-2012, 02:36 PM (14:36)     12        45516
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

September nearly over. Last mowing done by mowers, so that's the last time this year I'll be enjoying the fragrance of fresh mown grass. Had some good rain 3 days this past week - finally. Time to drain and roll up the hoses to hang overwinter in the garage. Time to pull in the outdoor furniture cushions.

The staghorn sumac this year is going not completely red but a slight bit of yellow, then orance, then red. Out front the burning bush is reddening up. Not many leaves on the ground yet.