The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page The Incredible Vanishing Grocery List
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: , , , , ,

The Incredible Vanishing Grocery List

Old 13-Apr-2010, 12:30 AM (00:30)     1        38930
Seeker630

Default The Incredible Vanishing Grocery List

Ever since the economy started to take a dump, I've been noticing that very quietly the amount of a lot of grocery items in a package at a given price has been getting "lighter". I first noticed it when canned tuna went from 6 1/2 ounces in a can to 5. The shelf price stayed the same----you are simply getting less for your money-------a de-facto price increase without having to announce it by upping the shelf price.

A few weeks ago I was in a Dollar store, and bought a gallon of laundry bleach-----or so I thought. When I got it home I realized the bottle was only 3 quarts. But the shelf price had remained the same. Yesterday I bought a 12 slice package of Kraft cheese slices-----the ones individually wrapped like you'd use in a sandwich. They've been 1 oz slices since I can remember. Not any more kids. The package that used to be 12 oz is now 10.7oz. The slices are now 2/3 of an ounce. They're do damned thin you can almost see through them.

I'm seeing this trend in more and more items at the supermarket. I think it's deceptive myself. I'd rather they just leave the packages alone and raise prices accordingly if they have to. Changing the amount in the container, whatever it is, will alter the ratios of ingredients in a lot of recipe's, which will now have to be re-calculated to come out right. Either that or you'll have to buy two packages of that ingredient now where before you only needed one.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2010, 01:24 AM (01:24)     2        38934
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Oh ya, this has been going on for a while. I noticed it first with peanut butter (deceptive indentation on the bottom!) and chocolate (slightly smaller canisters with the hot chocolate).

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2012, 02:51 PM (14:51)     3        45729
Seeker630

Default A 2 Quart Update

Yeah I know this thread is over 1 1/2 yrs old, but it's happened to me again. That 3 qt bottle of bleach I mentioned in the OP?-----it's now 2 qts.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2012, 08:03 AM (08:03)     4        45730
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Oh ya. They're trying to hide the inflation, still.
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Dec-2012, 07:47 PM (19:47)     5        45732
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Been going on since I remember my mom complaining all the way back in WWII! Whenever you see the "new improved" words on the pack, take a look as it usually means cheaper and probably toxic ingredients as well as a very slightly smaller package to conceal the lesser amount inside.

And watch out for the 2fers or the so many for so much - check the price for one whether that brand or another. Especially in the produce area - 2fer a buck often comes out higher than 2 for the price per pound.

Shopping has got to be a serious job!
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote