The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Everything else possible first
Reload this Page Libraries Are Special Places
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Everything else possible first - For all other generalities     

Everything else possible first - For all other generalities

Tags:

Libraries Are Special Places

Old 02-Aug-2012, 03:01 PM (15:01)     1        45352
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Libraries Are Special Places

Speaking of libraries as we were in a couple of other places, I think a thread dedicated to such wonderful places is in order.

No matter how many books we can store in our homes, no matter how many we can store on our kindles/nooks, libraries have or have access to vastly more. Even than on guy a friend told me about how lived on a ship and had a personal library of 9000 books which he bragged about. Or someone else who bragged of 4000 books.

Sure, I used to have a lot - nowhere near those numbers! - but after moving so often and paying for moving "tons" of books, I started to trade them out, 2 for 1, at used bookstores. Then I decided in my old age to downsize, made life easier, my home easier to clean, and donated most to my library district for their used book sale every fall or for my personal library's Second Chance Bookstore - which was such a temptation whenever I was there!

Now my cook and gardening books fit on the top shelf of a narrow pantry, and all the rest fit snugly in a narrow trophy case which has a glass front to keep the dust out. I leave the bottom shelf for whatever library books I borrow.

When I still drove, I visited my library 2ce a week, and if there was a special event another time. I loved to browse, especially the new books shelves, both fiction and non fiction. The library had a huge area devoted to computers on the second floor, and on the first floor a quick e mail check station with 3 computers. The upstairs one had one part dedicated to teens; the children's library on the first floor had their section, too. There are 2 reading rooms: on the first floor in an atrium with a skylight and a "waterfall" and on the second floor at the west side with the mountain view and a gas fireplace. Outside a balcony for warm days. There at my friendly library I learned to use computers for going online (my old one was a dedicated word processor) and setting up e mail. Also there is in the new, librarian-designed building a coffee shop! Spent some time there, too, checking out that section of the Second Chance Bookstore and enjoying espresso far better than Starbucks! And half the price, too.

They also have audiobooks, videos (phasing out now), DVDs, Spanish and Russian language books.

My district is a county one which is part of a fairly large (for the west) metro area. It has interlibrary loan, a "Prospector" service which goes beyond the immediate interlibrary connections. Whenever I want a book, if it exists anywhere and is not a reference book, they'll get it for me. It's fun to see how far some of my requests have traveled, and what sort of library they are from such as public or private or university or medical/law libraries. My district has a mobile van which goes to areas without close access, or to nursing homes, or assisted living homes, or to senior centers.

Best of all, for me now , is their Outreach Service, which is intended for homebound. Even tho I'm not actually homebound but just don't drive, the OS librarian said ok since I'm such a longtime patron! Since 81 which is nearly as long ago as the district itself was "born."
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Aug-2012, 11:00 AM (11:00)     2        45353
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

This is very true. Many thanks for this thread, Shadowfox. Later on I will post some of my stories that have to do with libraries.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Aug-2012, 02:36 PM (14:36)     3        45354
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Your very welcome. Eagerly awaiting your stories.
Old 09-Mar-2013, 03:15 AM (03:15)     4        45787
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

So appreciative of my Outreach Service librarian. She's really making sure I have enough books of the various types I enjoy. At this time, I'm reading a lot since I've not enough energy for much else. She actually sends way more than enough so I can pick and choose in case my mood doesn't fit each selection.