The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Everything else possible first
Reload this Page Health and Medicine:  Free medications in the USA
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Everything else possible first - For all other generalities     

Everything else possible first - For all other generalities

Tags: , ,

Free medications in the USA

Old 24-Jun-2008, 08:24 PM (20:24)     1        21095
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Lightbulb Free medications in the USA

Free medications in the USA

Many people inside the USA do not have access to healthcare (47 million out of a total population of 300 million), and/or are not able to afford necessary ongoing medications. Everyone should be aware that some USA pharmaceutical companies offer their medication products free for those qualifying under a general rubric of low-income and disabled people living in the USA. As part of qualifying under this program, a medical doctor must sign the application, and attach the prescription in question to it.

You can find more information on needymeds.com.

Here are just a few adresses pertaining to just a few meds and the companies which make them in question. You can find out more by looking up any particular medication on Wikipedia, and finding out from that who makes it, then finding the address of the company, and of its patient assistance program if it has one, from Wikipedia or a general web search.

Medication
Address of the company who makes it
Telephone
Abilify Bristol Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Program for Abilify, P.O. Box 8309, Somerville, NJ 08876 (800) 736 0003, option 1
Anafranil Mallinckrodt, Patient Assistance Program, Pharmacy Providers of Oklahoma, P.O. Box 18204, Oklahoma City, OK 73154 (800) 259 7765, ext.110
Aricept Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Aricept Assistance Program, 1480 Arthur Avenue, Ste. D, Louisville, CO 80027 (800) 226 2072
Clozapine (generic) Ivax Pharmaceuticals, Mylan Clozapine Patient Assistance Program, P.O. Box 4310, Morgantown, WV 26504-1310 (888) 823 7835
Clorazil Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Clorazil Patient Support Program (800) 257 3273, opt. 1
Concerta Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Senior Patient Assistance Program, P.O. Box 221009, Charlotte, NC 28222-1009 (888) 294 2400
Depakote Abbott Laboratories, Patient Assistance Program, Pharmaceutical Products Div., Dept D-13C, J23, 200 Abbott Park Rd., Abbott Park, IL 60064 (800) 222 6885
Effexor Wyeth Pharmaceutical, Patient Assistance Foundation, P.O. Box 1759, Paoli, PA 19301-0859 (800) 568 9938
Geodon Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Patient Assistance Foundation, P.O. Box 52119, Phoenix, AZ 85072 (866) 443 6366
Klonopin Roche Labs, Patient Assistance Program, Medical Needs Department, Roche Laboratories, 340 Kingsland St., Nutley, NJ 07110-1199 (800) 285 4484
Lamictal GlaxoSmithKline, Bridges To Access, P.O. Box 29038, Phoenix, AZ 85038 (866) 728 4368
Lithium (generic) SmithKlineBeecham Foundation, Access To Care, c/o Express Scripts / SDS, P.O. Box 2564, Maryland Hts., MO 63043-8564 (800) 546 9420

Please keep in mind that I got all the above information from the book below, and that it may be out of date, or I may have mis-typed, IOW sue don't sue me, I am no expert on all this. No responsibility is taken at all for any mistakes here, or for asteroids hitting the Earth, or anything else.

For those in the USA

Friends And Family Bipolar Survival Guide

For those in Britain or other countries

Last edited by Gurdur; 11-Jul-2009 at 01:31 AM (01:31).
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2008, 05:57 AM (05:57)     2        21112
Moriah Conquering Wind
Resident Daimonizomai

What, no Ativan?

Dicks.
ὁρκίζω σε τὸν θεόν, μή με βασανίσῃς.
trained in obedience, competent to lead
Moriah Conquering Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2008, 08:12 PM (20:12)     3        21143
Gurdur

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah Conquering Wind View Post
What, no Ativan?

Dicks.
Ask, don't assume. Not all medications are covered above *; look up on Wikipedia who makes Ativan, ask the company who makes Ativan about "Patient Assistance" or suchlike for those with low-income or chronic conditions, and ask your doctor also.

* For one thing, I simply don't have the time to do huge lists of individual meds.

Ativan is now manufactured by a whole lot of different companies under a huge number of different brandnames (see below). You should be able to find at least one company making the stuff (lorazepam) under their own brandname who are willing to participate in such patient assistance programs, it's up to you to chase it up.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Almazine, Alzapam, Anxiedin, Anxira, Anzepam, Aplacasse, Aplacassee, Apo-Lorazepam, Aripax, Azurogen, Bonatranquan, Bonton, Control, Donix, Duralozam, Efasedan, Emotion, Emotival, Idalprem, Kalmalin, Larpose, Laubeel, Lopam, Lorabenz, Loram, Lorans, Lorapam, Lorat, Lorax, Lorazene, Lorazep, Lorazepam, Lorazin, Lorafen (PL), Lorazon, Lorenin, Loridem, Lorivan, Lorsedal, Lorzem, Lozepam, Merlit, Nervistop L, Nervistopl, NIC, Novhepar, Novolorazem, Orfidal, Piralone, Placidia, Placinoral, Punktyl, Quait, Renaquil, Rocosgen, Securit, Sedarkey, Sedatival, Sedizepan, Sidenar, Silence, Sinestron, Somnium, Stapam, Tavor, Titus, Tolid, Tranqil, Tranqipam, Trapax, Trapaxm, Trapex, Upan, Wintin and Wypax.
Old 26-Jun-2008, 11:08 PM (23:08)     4        21145
verte

Thanks to Gurdur posting that info, Moriah, I was able to find you an 800 # to the Ativan Rx assistance line-- Ativan Rx Assistance Program: (800) 568-9938

Here's a link to the NAMI Ativan page:

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...ontentID=34831
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2008, 04:36 AM (04:36)     5        21146
Moriah Conquering Wind
Resident Daimonizomai

Groovy, now all it needs bes a scrip'.
Old 27-Jun-2008, 04:36 AM (04:36)     6        21147
Moriah Conquering Wind
Resident Daimonizomai

Not YOU Gurdur.
It would not call you that.
Old 27-Jun-2008, 04:51 AM (04:51)     7        21151
Nina
Banned

What does Ativan do? Long ago, maybe 30 years, I had an elderly Dr. I told him I was nervous and he gave me valium!
I took one and got freaked out (I've never liked legal drugs, much less ones that are wanted on the underground market)
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2008, 05:40 AM (05:40)     8        21152
Moriah Conquering Wind
Resident Daimonizomai

Ativan bes a very nice calming thing. A mild sedative, it will quell anxiety and calm nerves and enable you to sleep if you bes tired but cannot rest (though it bes not given for sleep as far as this one knows).

They gives it to Moriah 3 years ago when it got involuntary committed for being homicidal. But they would not give it a scrip for it the fuckers. ONLY fucking thing that helped and they refused to prescribe it. DICKS!!!!
Old 27-Jun-2008, 05:48 AM (05:48)     9        21153
Nina
Banned

Do you have a general dr. that you can ask about it now?
Me, I'm on Avianne (not for men
Old 27-Jun-2008, 06:06 AM (06:06)     10        21155
Moriah Conquering Wind
Resident Daimonizomai

What's that (avianne)? never heard of it.

No it does not have a GP currently. Should probably get one though and have some general checkup stuff done. Been a long time. Not sure a GP would prescribe Ativan though; it bes a psych med as far as daimonizomai can tell.
Old 27-Jun-2008, 06:29 AM (06:29)     11        21156
Nina
Banned

avianne-a miracle drug (to me). Its a low dose birth control pill. Been on it years and have no more pain.
Old 27-Jun-2008, 10:40 AM (10:40)     12        21158
Gurdur

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah Conquering Wind View Post
..... But they would not give it a scrip for it the fuckers. ...

Most likely because:
  1. a ward is not a GP, and you need a proper GP for ongoing prescriptions, observation and control
  2. and Ativan has side-effects, and is widely abused, and can be addictive
If you want proper ongoing treatment, then you need to arrange a proper GP.
Old 27-Jun-2008, 10:42 AM (10:42)     13        21159
Gurdur

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
What does Ativan do? Long ago, maybe 30 years, I had an elderly Dr. I told him I was nervous and he gave me valium!
Ativan is much like valium.

I wouldn't personally recommend valium or any relatives of valium for anxiety, but it was all the rage 30 years ago. But other meds are far better for anxiety control and treatment.
Old 04-Aug-2011, 03:55 AM (03:55)     14        44311
Gurdur

administrator

Adding another to the lists, since it came up tonight on Twitter:

Aricept: http://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/...tails.aspx?p=4
Old 04-Aug-2011, 07:18 AM (07:18)     15        44312
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I work with these people occasionally. Don't know how applicable it is to anyone here, but it might do someone good.

http://www.celgene.com/patient-suppo...gram-home.aspx

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Aug-2011, 09:04 PM (21:04)     16        44348
iamwombat

"I wouldn't personally recommend Valium or any relatives of Valium for anxiety", I know it's a bad mix, but Valium and Jack Daniels relieved my anxiety of flying so well that I slept from Cincinnati to Seattle, and when the prop. plane out of Seattle got hit by lightening right after take off, I giggled about it. Mothers little helper, maiking it possible for scardicats to fly about the country.
iamwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Aug-2011, 10:48 PM (22:48)     17        44351
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

LOOOL!
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote