The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Travel and shopping
Reload this Page Born To Shop
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: ,

Born To Shop

Old 22-Apr-2009, 10:41 PM (22:41)     1        23686
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Default Born To Shop

This is a thread for everyone to post where they shop (and for what) or would like to shop.

Starting:

three shops in Paris I would like to go to, though I have never been to Paris (not counting a one-and-a-half hour stopover):

Quote:
Courtesy of The Guardian

Shakespeare and Company, Paris

Don't be put off by the tourists streaming towards this Left Bank bookshop; it really is worth visiting. Not just for the piles of books, spilling out into the narrow corridors and nooks and crannies, nor for the traces of the aspiring and penniless writers who, in keeping with the shop's egalitarian ethos, bed down for the night wherever they can find a spare two inches. But this is the place where the Lost Generation of Hemingway, Pound and Fitzgerald gathered in the 1920s and 30s, succeeded by the Beats some 20 years later. Soak up the atmosphere, but take your sleeping bag if you intend to stay.

37 rue de la Bucherie (00 33 1432 54093; www.shakespeareco.org)
There is also a whole Guardian piece on this shop.

Quote:
Courtesy of The Guardian

Deyrolle, Paris

Founded in 1831 and on this fine Left Bank site since 1888, Deyrolle is a magnificently strange institution devoted to taxidermy, gemology, entomology and old-school educational charts showing export patterns in the rhum trade. The floors are warped, the atmosphere surreal-gothic. You can buy a stuffed zebra or carefully boxed scarabs, the latter making unusual hostess gifts. Afterwards, lunch across the road at the equally bizarre Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

46 rue du Bac (00 33 1 4222 3007; www.deyrolle.fr)

Quote:
Courtesy of The Guardian, and don't forget to see all the Guardian pieces on Paris

Cinedoc, Paris

For lovers of vintage film posters and stills going back to the early days of cinema, Cinedoc is the place to head. Drawers of amazing French posters vie for attention with scene stills and photographs of the stars. The shop is crammed from floor to ceiling - a treasure trove. Cinedoc is in the Passage Jouffroy, a wonderful almost secret network of covered glazed shopping arcades dating from the 19th century. Each of the 30 passages has its own architectural style - some, like the Galerie Vero-Dodat, are very grand with black marble columns and painted shopfronts. Others, such as the Passage des Panoramas, are a little run down but contain delightful bric-a-brac shops and stamp dealers. The Passages of Paris are hidden gems well worth discovering away from the traffic clogged boulevards.
Posted by JohnG3502

• Cinedoc, 45-53 Passage Jouffroy, 7500 Paris, France, +33 (0)1 48 24 71 36, www.cine-doc.fr.
All the Guardian pieces on Paris
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2009, 04:03 AM (04:03)     2        23766
Al Habeshi

I would go to any Nike store and go to a store that sells Ed hardy stuff,yeah thats good...
Al Habeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2009, 04:42 AM (04:42)     3        23808
verte

This place has gotten faaaar too much of my money in the last couple of years:

http://www.papermojo.com/
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2009, 04:45 AM (04:45)     4        23811
Fizzle

That's not a shopping page. I think it's the double http's in the link.
Fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2009, 04:58 AM (04:58)     5        23828
Al Habeshi

Lol we are humans we make mistakes.
Old 24-Apr-2009, 05:01 AM (05:01)     6        23831
Fizzle

Ok, I will NOT show that to my mother .
Old 24-Apr-2009, 05:06 AM (05:06)     7        23836
verte

Your mother is a paper addict?
Old 24-Apr-2009, 05:10 AM (05:10)     8        23840
Al Habeshi

Show what?
Old 24-Apr-2009, 05:19 AM (05:19)     9        23844
verte

It's a site with all kinds of beautiful paper. You name it, they have it.
Old 24-Apr-2009, 05:46 AM (05:46)     10        23864
Al Habeshi

Well she could have a mother whose stomach aches for paper(some people eat paper,some of my friends use to).
Old 25-Apr-2009, 01:01 AM (01:01)     11        23969
Fizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by verte View Post
Your mother is a paper addict?
No, she's an "ooooh, pretty colors" addict.

Sometimes, when she's telling me off on something she stops in mid-sentence and remarks "Oh, what a pretty house" (after seeing said house) and then continues.
Old 12-Mar-2010, 03:16 PM (15:16)     12        38194
ouinon

My favourite shop for at least a year now has been Amazon.

But when I still did that wandering around town centres thing I loved charity shops, clothes and books especially, more than anything else. I also used to love flea markets.

Two of my other favourite sorts of shop, when I have had enough money to enjoy the experience, ( ie. buy at least one or two things ), are crystal and occult shops. I drool over books of deep astrological analysis, tarot sets, and beautiful stones.

But since living in France, and becoming a mother, I have rarely had the money or the time for, or access to, those kinds of RL shops, and discovering Amazon a year or so ago was an extraordinarily exciting experience. Most RL shops have paled in comparison.

PS. I have been to that bookstore in Paris, by the way, and it is amazing; I was visiting with family though, and barely allowed myself to start looking at anything because I knew I would want to stay for hours. My dad is the same. But it's why I love the internet because I can keep looking and reading and searching and discovering and reading some more, without end!

ouinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2010, 04:42 PM (16:42)     13        38202
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I am a fan of Amazon for anything I can't get ahold of in my local stores for whatever reason... Which is a lot of stuff, since despite my "city" location, it's still fairly rural.

I like my local grocery store. It's huge and has lots of stuff in the produce section. That makes me happy. ^__^

Also, I love my local hardware store. Why? Because I can walk into the tool section and just -wander-. I <3 tools.

What I want to find is a rock shop in my area. I still need a big chunk of bloodstone, and my local witchyshop only carries the massage wands, which are faily small.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2010, 07:49 AM (07:49)     14        38270
blackswordca
Captain Bowl, Wouldn't he? Motor home!

PacMan Avoider V.1 Champion!

I live in a fairly major center, but its always seemed like small shops for items which I have interest in are few and far between. Im normally stuck with ordering online or through big box stores for everythign.
Old 14-Mar-2010, 04:49 PM (16:49)     15        38286
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I feel you... That's what happens when your interests are outside the norm.
Old 25-Jul-2012, 06:23 PM (18:23)     16        45332
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

When I still drove, it was garage sales and thrift stores; but I always had a mental list of what I might need along the way.

Grocery shopping is mostly at King Soopers which has the best produce, the best prices, my pharmacy, my bank, other departments. If I get a chance I get to the farmers market.

Online/mail order shopping my fave for many years is LLBean.

Other than that, it's whatever comes up. Home Depot and Lowe's for garden supplies and hardware. Lately for shoes, it's DSW.

I am no shopaholic - my shopping is get in get it get out.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2012, 07:35 AM (07:35)     17        45335
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
When I still drove, it was garage sales and thrift stores; but I always had a mental list of what I might need along the way.
That is the only thing I don't like about not having a car. When I plan to actually spend a day browsing, it's mostly this, and that's hard to do without a car. Man, I miss that.

Quote:
I am no shopaholic - my shopping is get in get it get out.
That's me most of the time... But there are some exceptions. If I am in an area with lots of yard sales, and a means to get around all of them, or to drag crap home, you can bet I'll spend all day going through them! Same with thrift stores. There's usually awesome stuff to look at, and sometimes stuff I can either a) use (I love unusual dishes), or b) convert into art-objects.

The most dangerous place for me, though, is a hardware store or (ahem) the tool section in Sears.

Not a shopaholic; I frequently won't walk out with anything... But oh, oh, I can look for days.

True story: my sister got a new boyfriend a couple years back. he's as socially awkward as I am, and dinner with the three of us was kind of a stiff affair. Then she wanted to go to Sears and get a blanket for my little(-est! Six sisters, all younger than me...) sister's birthday... then she had to hit the bathroom. The bathroom was right next to the tool section.

Forty five minutes later, she tracked us down, looking frazzled, while we spoke animatedly over the merits of the tablesaws for sale.

"Where the hell WERE you two?"

"Uhhhhh.... Dremel tools, drills, and handsaws before we got here?"

This did not, luckily, initiate a breakup, and she's still got this nice young man around. She has me come over so that he has someone to talk to about things he likes. >.>

Edit:

I take this back. the most dangerous place, hands down, is a bookstore- used or otherwise. I have been known to walk into a bookstore, and somehow walk out with a couple hundred dollars in books that I really couldn't afford.

I usually avoid bookstores like the plague.
Old 28-Jul-2012, 02:32 PM (14:32)     18        45336
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Bookstores!

Bookstores - yikes! Get in, browse, browse, browse, buy, buy, buy. Could not get out of a bookstore without buying at least one. Used bookstores caught me totally. One had a store cat named Ah So. And chairs and rockers. I'd go in just for a calming session with him on my lap. Now here's the odd thing. Ah So would often nudge a book. I'd look. Sure enough I'd buy that one; so I started paying strict attention to what he indicated.

Finally I "discovered" libraries. They have zillions of books for me to access, and if I want to read one once only it's better than putting out bucks for one. So then I could not get out of a library without a bunch of books.

Garage sales and books galore - that was another trap.

Eventually I cleared out so much, including books which first I traded at the used book stores, 2 for 1, and then donating to library for their Second Chance bookstore or massive annual used book sale. Now before I ever buy a book I borrow it from the libe to see if it is one I want to keep to mark up with notations. If not, I read and return, knowing if I want ever to read again, I can request it. All part of living frugally which I started doing way back when I still had lots of income!

While I know that kindle and nook have lots of e books, my eyes won't tolerate looking at the little screen. I can read real books all day and the eyes are ok. Now if I want to buy a particular book, I order from Amazon or luckily find it at the Second Chance whenever I get a ride to the libe.
Old 29-Jul-2012, 04:10 AM (04:10)     19        45339
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

I think I've mentioned the problem before, but frequently, the stuff I want to read is too obscure, or too new, for my local library to bother with; in the end, it's worth it to shell out the money, particularly for anything that I may use as reference, and then I usually pass anything I don't plan to read again onto others. I belong to a family full of readers, so if one person doesn't want X book, someone else probably does.

But yeah, I got rid of a lot of books in the last few years, among other things. It's not so much a matter of "living frugally" at this point, as it is one of "I am trying to live in a 10X25 foot studio apartment, and don't have room".

Clothes and books and computer bits... Oi. And cooking implements. And gardening implements... My home looks (predictably) as if it is a storage shed for my hobbies.
Old 29-Jul-2012, 12:47 PM (12:47)     20        45341
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Does your library not have interlibrary loan? Bummer if not. I love my district since they comb around for what I might want. And they have that Outreach Service for the homebound. Been with this one, same branch, since 81. So even tho I'm not homebound, they deliver my books since they're delighted to have such a long term patron. The district itself is not much older than that.

I love studios - wish I could have found a house in that size! But this one will do even tho it's big for me and dog.

Got a lunch and shopping date come Wednesday. Probably head out to Southlands, one of our major centers which looks like a small town rather than a mall. WalMart for one stop, then whatever. I have a list of odds and ends I need - my lists are made up for a just-in-case opportunity to go wherever.

Of course, we'll stop at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. That's one place I don't rush through, but just browse, totally in the moment of the displays and the fragrance of chocolate.
Old 29-Jul-2012, 06:06 PM (18:06)     21        45343
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

They do within the county. My local library is, unfortunately, the county library... So if it's not here, we probably don't have it. My searches to see if the books I need are elsewhere usually turn up dry, so I gave up... well, a couple years ago. About the time they decided to slash the library budget even further.
Old 29-Jul-2012, 06:06 PM (18:06)     22        45344
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

mmm... Chocolate...
Old 01-Aug-2012, 11:56 PM (23:56)     23        45349
Seeker630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Bookstores - yikes! Get in, browse, browse, browse, buy, buy, buy. Could not get out of a bookstore without buying at least one. Used bookstores caught me totally..............

Finally I "discovered" libraries. They have zillions of books for me to access, and if I want to read one once only it's better than putting out bucks for one. So then I could not get out of a library without a bunch of books.

Garage sales and books galore - that was another trap.

Eventually I cleared out so much, including books which first I traded at the used book stores, 2 for 1, and then donating to library for their Second Chance bookstore or massive annual used book sale. Now before I ever buy a book I borrow it from the libe to see if it is one I want to keep to mark up with notations. If not, I read and return, knowing if I want ever to read again, I can request it. All part of living frugally which I started doing way back when I still had lots of income!

While I know that kindle and nook have lots of e books, my eyes won't tolerate looking at the little screen. I can read real books all day and the eyes are ok. Now if I want to buy a particular book, I order from Amazon or luckily find it at the Second Chance whenever I get a ride to the libe.
I know the feeling. I've always been a big reader, even as a kid. Books were my world of fantasy. But I live in a two bedroom condo. And storage is an issue. So I haunt the very good library system we have here. I like mysteries and suspense stories. Science Fiction too. I've got one going all the time. I can't see the "Kindles" of the world ever completely replacing real books. The library is my second home, and I spend a lot of time there.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Aug-2012, 02:40 PM (14:40)     24        45351
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Second home for me, too, when I still drove. Ya know, libraries are so special, I'm going to start a thread on them. See you there?
Old 06-Aug-2012, 01:47 PM (13:47)     25        45369
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Just got the Ikea catalog. Never been there but we had this new one open last year. I see in the catalog something I've been looking for, for some time, and it's in my price range. Now all I need to do is ask my neighbor with the truck to take me over. Or wait till my BF gets back from her Florida vacation; I think what I want, from the measurements, will fit in her SUV.

I'll be browsing in the catalog's lamp section, too, as I need one more lamp.