The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Religion and Atheism in general
Reload this Page Gay issues:  Bible-thumping gay-haters
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Bible-thumping gay-haters

Old 26-Jun-2010, 09:46 PM (21:46)     1        39904
Mr. Creosote

vincent Bible-thumping gay-haters

This is a post made in a state of semi-frustration. What happened was as follows:

Today was the day of the yearly "gay pride" parade in my city of residence. The wife and I wanted to watch this, so we located a place where we could get a good view of the whole show. We had plenty of time before the parade, so we had a look around the place. Right where the parade would pass, we saw this gay-hating bible-thumping a**h**e carrying a sign with the text "Gay Sex = Sin", and his mouth kept spewing out a long tirade of anti-gay s**t, explaining to the audience how this god-person and this jesus-person and this bible-book hated homosexuals, lesbians, and "gay-enablers" and how capital punishment is the only punishment applicable for homosexuality. His hateful speech was quite on par with what we see coming from the Phelps family and the Westboro Baptist Church. I literally had to drag my wife away from the place, as we were both equally provoked and angered by this piece of human garbage. Although we both happened to flip a couple of birds in the man's face as a farewell gift, we both enjoyed the parade, which was quite lovely, with lots of good humor and happy people.

So, my questions are: How do one best handle situations like this? How do you avoid becoming infinitely angry and provoked? And what can you do to humiliate bible-thumpers like that?

Last edited by Mr. Creosote; 26-Jun-2010 at 09:50 PM (21:50). Reason: Edited typo.
Mr. Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 12:29 AM (00:29)     2        39905
lifelinking

Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Scrabble Blast Champion!

That is a hard one. Getting the message over without lowering yourself to the same level as these numpties.
lifelinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 08:14 AM (08:14)     3        39908
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Curse them.

No, really. Shit like that gives me the unstoppable urge to fling hexes and interesting times at people.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that -telling- people like that what I'm doing in a very calm manner does wonders. People like that usually also believe strongly in magic and Satan worshipers, and being told they've had a nasty curse flung at them and their children for their hateful ways can be hilarious. Superstition does my work for me.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 04:38 PM (16:38)     4        39914
homo hirsutus
Getting hairier by the minute.

Ignore them. If shit like this comes up in private conversation then I'll argue with people, but these nutters shouting on the street crave abuse. They see you as part of the forces of satan and feel that they are doing god's bidding when they get yelled at. They love it. They love to go hang out with the other nutters and jerk each other off, sharing stories about the most offensive things people said back to them and brag about how strong they were in the face of evil. The worst thing you could do to them is to tell them to have a nice day.
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 04:44 PM (16:44)     5        39915
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Or tell them, with a smile, that God loves them and God loves gays as well.

If I ever run into those Phelps people (I live in Germany but I would like to visit the USA some day), that is exactly what I will do. I will try to be as annoyingly nice and as annoying as possible. In-your-face nice, a bit like using the -smiley for evil purposes.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 05:29 PM (17:29)     6        39916
homo hirsutus
Getting hairier by the minute.

I remembered. When the Phelps were here a few months ago the atheists' group organized a silly-sign protest across the street from them. Lots of people showed up with signs that said stuff like "god loves everyone" "I like protesting" and "Sign."
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 05:34 PM (17:34)     7        39917
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homo hirsutus View Post
I remembered. When the Phelps were here a few months ago the atheists' group organized a silly-sign protest across the street from them. Lots of people showed up with signs that said stuff like "god loves everyone" "I like protesting" and "Sign."
Now that sounds good!
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 09:01 PM (21:01)     8        39921
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homo hirsutus View Post
Ignore them. If shit like this comes up in private conversation then I'll argue with people, but these nutters shouting on the street crave abuse. They see you as part of the forces of satan and feel that they are doing god's bidding when they get yelled at. They love it. They love to go hang out with the other nutters and jerk each other off, sharing stories about the most offensive things people said back to them and brag about how strong they were in the face of evil. The worst thing you could do to them is to tell them to have a nice day.
Who said anything about yelling? A matter of fact tone is about the best thing evar. :P
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2010, 10:22 PM (22:22)     9        39922
lifelinking

Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Scrabble Blast Champion!

Some time ago we were covering the issue of discrimination with some of our young people, and were gratified to see that quite a few of them started wearing 'some people are gay - get over it' stickers. We were then disappointed when the school stopped young people doing so. (And this was not a Catholic School) Still waiting for a straight answer why.
lifelinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Jul-2010, 04:21 PM (16:21)     10        40057
alicat
faithless and unreasonable

Best thing to do might be to let them go, even moderately conservative Christians will likely be put off by this sort of extreme shock value behavior and choose to distance themselves. I ran a 5K before the parade- I was about the most flamboyantly dressed one in the race-dammit. A Christian group was passing out free sunglasses with signs to the effect that this was a small token to apologize for the way gays and lesbians had been treated for years by other Christian groups. I'm not a lesbian, but I took the glasses, they were pretty nice. All the flamboyant people turned out for the parade. My friend who is a lesbian, but not at all flamboyant, tried to explain to her adopted son why she and her partner were marching. His response was "but why don't you have the same rights as everyone else? That's really stupid!" Again confirming my opinion that the world should probably be run by bright 7 year olds.
alicat is offline   Reply With Quote