The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page What's the Worst Pizza You've Ever Had?
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: , ,

What's the Worst Pizza You've Ever Had?

Old 21-Jun-2011, 01:02 PM (13:02)     1        43974
Seeker630

Default What's the Worst Pizza You've Ever Had?

So for father's day I figured I would treat myself. I like pizza but since I'm always fighting the battle of the waistline, I seldom eat any other than Stouffer's Lean Cuisine. So from the frozen pizza section at the grocery store I grabbed a small Totino's pepperoni pizza.

Hell's bells. This was the worst pizza I have ever eaten. The crust was oily and had a nasty back taste to it. I wound up throwing out part of it.

So what is the worst pizza, fresh or frozen, that you've ever had?
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2011, 10:46 PM (22:46)     2        43979
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Hawaiian of any stripe. Shit always makes me gag. Something about the Canadian bacon and pineapple together on a pizza...

....So gross.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2011, 12:01 PM (12:01)     3        43988
Seeker630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makbawehuh View Post
Hawaiian of any stripe. Shit always makes me gag. Something about the Canadian bacon and pineapple together on a pizza...

....So gross.
Yeah, I could never get over the pineapple thing. Also, I have to admit to a prejudice against anchovies, even though I've never had any. It's just that I've never met anyone who said they liked them. Fish on a pizza?
Old 24-Jun-2011, 02:21 AM (02:21)     4        43996
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I had them once, and I didn't mind them. I just prefer bacon as a "salty" flavored topping.
Old 28-Jun-2011, 04:25 AM (04:25)     5        44008
Wet Walnuts

There used to be a Kosher pizza place in my town...yecch. It is possible to make pizza according to the Jewish dietary laws, but this place was doing it wrong. Very wrong.

As for the "Hawaiian" pizza, it's actually not a real Hawaiian food. It was invented either in Canada or Australia (depending upon which version of the story you believe). I don't mind it so much though, as a once-in-a-while thing.
Old 28-Jun-2011, 05:58 AM (05:58)     6        44013
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Hey, I can't help that they call it Hawaiian...

It's like French Fries. Anyone with a brain knows they didn't come from France. *grins*

Actually, for that matter, there's Belgian waffles and Russian dressing and ...I'm seeing a trend here, I think...
Old 08-Jul-2011, 10:42 PM (22:42)     7        44085
TaciLunaRain
Amazazing

Send a message via MSN to TaciLunaRain Send a message via Yahoo to TaciLunaRain

There's a franchise out here called Hungry Howies. idk if they're everywhere or just in florida. but their pizza is ALWAYS super nasty greasy blegh!
Old 08-Jul-2011, 10:42 PM (22:42)     8        44086
TaciLunaRain
Amazazing

Send a message via MSN to TaciLunaRain Send a message via Yahoo to TaciLunaRain

and i like Hawaiian. only i've only ever had it with ham not canadian bacon...?
TaciLunaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-Jul-2011, 07:36 AM (07:36)     9        44090
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Canadian bacon = ham cut in a circle

At least, as far as I can tell.
Old 12-Jul-2011, 02:36 AM (02:36)     10        44114
homo hirsutus
Getting hairier by the minute.

My first thought was "any pizza with a burned crust," then I remembered a pizza I had one time that had shrimp on it. They clearly put frozen shrimp on it, so when they threw it in the oven the shrimp thawed, leaving little puddles of shrimp juice on the pizza. It was f'ing gross, but I ate it anyway. I can't remember why, but I was really f'ing hungry.
homo hirsutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2011, 04:47 AM (04:47)     11        44124
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

....That does sound disgusting, and I love shrimp.
Old 20-Jun-2012, 03:44 PM (15:44)     12        45192
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

The worst pizza I ever had was in a non chain pizza place. The others with me wanted to order the deep dish with everything. So I went along as it was a share thing. Erk. Sickening. Somehow everything was all mixed up, and the sauce was unpleasant.

As for Hawaian style, I'm Sicilian, a purist when it comes to pizza which isn't really italian anyway! Not like we get it in the US. Dunno, but pineapple doesn't fit with the tomato sauce and cheese, not to me!

Anchovies are ok but way too salty for me.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2012, 11:59 PM (23:59)     13        45194
Seeker630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
The worst pizza I ever had was in a non chain pizza place. The others with me wanted to order the deep dish with everything. So I went along as it was a share thing. Erk. Sickening. Somehow everything was all mixed up, and the sauce was unpleasant.

As for Hawaian style, I'm Sicilian, a purist when it comes to pizza which isn't really italian anyway! Not like we get it in the US. Dunno, but pineapple doesn't fit with the tomato sauce and cheese, not to me!

Anchovies are ok but way too salty for me.
In this country, you can put anything you like on any flat bread and call it pizza. I had a frozen one from Lean Cuisine that was BBQ-----------bloody hell it was awful. And I generally like Lean Cuisine.

Give me good old fashioned Pepperoni, mushroom and lots of cheese any time.
Old 22-Jun-2012, 12:09 AM (00:09)     14        45200
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
No, pizza isn't any more Italian than french fries are french. :P

Speaking of Italians: It was my Italian family members who first encouraged me to put potatoes on my homemade pizza. It sounded fucking gross, and I did not want to eat it.

Now, potato and onion pizza is like... One of my favorite pizzas, when I'm doing it from scratch.
Old 22-Jun-2012, 02:22 PM (14:22)     15        45202
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Remember way back when - you're probably not old enough - it was called in the US "pizza pie."

Thanks to the Americas for tomatoes and potatoes - without which what would pizza be? I'm gonna try potatoes next time.
Old 23-Jun-2012, 05:47 AM (05:47)     16        45203
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Potatoes, onions, rosemary, some fresh parmesean, and a little mozzarella if you want it. No tomato sauce, but do add a dash of olive oil to coat the potatoes and onions.

Heaven and hell at once. That many carbs puts me to sleep so fast...
Old 23-Jun-2012, 02:52 PM (14:52)     17        45206
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Sounds fab. No tomato sauce, huh? Gonna try that for dinner one of these days. Rosemary I don't have to may try another one of my garden herbs. And romano I almost always have rather than parmesan. And EVOO of course!
Old 23-Jun-2012, 11:10 PM (23:10)     18        45210
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Romano is good; when I have it, I pair it up with parmesean so often that it's hard to think of them as separate things, anyways. But yeah, no tomato sauce. Technically I suppose you could add tomato sauce, but I have never seen it made that way, and personally, I think it would overpower everything else on there.

No rosemary?! Considering that the stuff grows like nothing, I would think you'd get a shrub, keep it in a corner, and just have it around. I don't use it that often myself, but when I want it, I want it fresh, and it's not like it's a plant that takes any real effort. Throw some water at it once in a while, lol.
Old 24-Jun-2012, 02:48 AM (02:48)     19        45215
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Had a rosemary plant that got fairly big, then it up and died. Shucks.
Old 24-Jun-2012, 11:22 AM (11:22)     20        45218
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Awwww. Did you have a freeze?
Old 24-Jun-2012, 03:52 PM (15:52)     21        45220
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Many freezes overwinter, even into early spring and late fall. That's why we have lilacs that bloom. But that wasn't what finally killed the herb - just up and died one summer. No idea why. As did my thyme which I finally replaced this summer.

But I still have the oregano and basil and tarragon - which are super for pizza.
Old 25-Jun-2012, 08:01 AM (08:01)     22        45223
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

*two thumbs up*

Basil and oregano fix everything.

...As a matter of fact, basil fixes everything. Planning on making tomato salad with all that basil? *totally off topic now, peeks over your shoulder*
Old 25-Jun-2012, 04:01 PM (16:01)     23        45225
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Quote:
*two thumbs up*

Basil and oregano fix everything.

...As a matter of fact, basil fixes everything. Planning on making tomato salad with all that basil? *totally off topic now, peeks over your shoulder*
Varieties of tomato sauce, for pasta, and for pizza and so back on topic!
Old 25-Jun-2012, 08:37 PM (20:37)     24        45228
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

LOL!
Old 28-Jun-2012, 03:19 PM (15:19)     25        45253
Seeker630

Quote:

Speaking of Italians: It was my Italian family members who first encouraged me to put potatoes on my homemade pizza. It sounded fucking gross, and I did not want to eat it.

Now, potato and onion pizza is like... One of my favorite pizzas, when I'm doing it from scratch.
Do you cook the potatoes at all before you put them on the pizza, or just pop them into the oven raw? Sounds interesting. I can see where the potatoes and cheese would go well together, kind of like a cheesy scalloped thing.
Old 29-Jun-2012, 12:58 AM (00:58)     26        45258
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

You slice them thin and put them on top raw, same with the onions. Before you put them on, you toss them with olive oil to coat, and the herbs. Sprinkle cheese as desired on top. Before you lay it down on the dough, you also want to brush the top of the dough with some oil.

And of course, you can add salt to taste while doing all this. Should probably write up a formal recipe... But yeah, for whatever reason, our pizzas (and pastas) that we made at home rarely to never featured tomato sauce; most were some variation on aio oio.

I suspect this is because my grandmother's recipe for marinara, while absolutely tasty, is hellish to make.
Old 02-Jun-2013, 07:15 PM (19:15)     27        46873
AbsurdWalls
Resident Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker630 View Post
Quote:

Do you cook the potatoes at all before you put them on the pizza, or just pop them into the oven raw? Sounds interesting. I can see where the potatoes and cheese would go well together, kind of like a cheesy scalloped thing.
When I was in Italy last year I went to an apparently fancy restaurant (being able to choose your lobster from a tank makes a place seem fancy to me) with a few colleagues. We all ordered various nice-looking things. One of my friends there ordered the potato pizza off the menu (I think it was Pizza di Patate or something like that). I think she was expecting something nice like you describe.

What then arrived alongside the fancy food that me and the rest of the diners got was... hilariously... a quite drab looking margherita pizza covered in oven fries (as in the kind you buy frozen in a bag). The incongruity of this rather pedestrian fare in this fancy restaurant, combined with the appropriateness of serving "pizza and chips" to a Scottish woman (if only they had deep-fried the pizza!) brought all of us to hysterics. I still don't know whether the chef was proud of having produced that atrocity (one hypothesis was that the pizza was on the menu as a joke and the chef resigned after making it) but I think it has to be the only pizza that has ever brought me to tears of laughter.

Now the worst pizza I have ever had was as an undergraduate at university. We were regular customers to a terrible (but cheap) local fast food delivery company, who one time gave us a free "experimental" pizza of theirs to try. What they had done was to put southern fried chicken skins (like from KFC but done badly) on a pizza. It was universally received as a disgusting idea, but strangely enough the pizza still got eaten...

... it actually wasn't that bad once you got over what you were eating.

Or maybe the worst pizza I ever had was a supermarket one (from a big-name brand) that had a crust that was so tough and rough that trying to eat it made my mouth bleed.

Or maybe the time I got a pizza from Dominos and it had broken glass in it (got a 50 voucher out of that).
AbsurdWalls is offline   Reply With Quote