The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page Strawberries from my own patch
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: , ,

Strawberries from my own patch

Old 22-Jun-2012, 12:03 AM (00:03)     1        45196
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Strawberries from my own patch

I have a small strawberry patch. My berries are small, and not pretty like the store bought ones. But sweet they are. Even the organic ones are not as sweet, bigger and more perfect yes but not as tasty.

The other day I gave a few to a friend. She got this blissful look and asked in an astonished way, "Is this how strawberries are supposed to taste?"

I also have raspberries, grapes, and apples. Once my nectarine tree grows back, those, too.

Isn't is odd how even the best organic or sustainably grown fruits from big farms or agribusiness have lost the full, sweet, luscious taste that fruits should have! I don't fertilize or spray my food garden, just add compost every year or so. Sometimes I have to scold the birds and rabbits who don't share! But that's ok. As long as I get some.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2012, 12:04 AM (00:04)     2        45198
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

My strawberries always come out tart. Want to ship me some plants when they start to overgrow your containers?

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2012, 02:16 PM (14:16)     3        45201
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Mine aren't in containers but in the ground, in heavy alkaline clay soil with some added compost. Semi-arid climate, hot summers, cold winters but I don't mulch overwinter.

What kind of soil do you have? Could that be your problem? Could also stem from your potting soil? Do you fertilize or spray? I don't do either.

I've tried and have both June bearers and "ever" bearers. By this time I've no idea which plant is which as they all bear most of the summer, some summers better than others.

While I would be glad to ship you some, I have found that transplanting them really doesn't work well. Some friends had bought a house that had a 50 foot long plot of strawberries and dug most of them out. I tried putting them into my terrace garden. They all died the same year.
Old 23-Jun-2012, 06:42 AM (06:42)     4        45205
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Not sure if the soil is alkaline or not, but the soil itself is quite poor. I have my strawberries growing in a stone planter that I filled with compost a few years back, and I continually add/supplement with new as stuff gets used and decays.

But aside from the compost, I don't fertilize or spray. The snails love me for this, but I look at it like, if those things aren't good for the snails, slugs, and other bugs, they probably aren't very good for me. I'd rather do daily battle with them in my little patch.

On the shipping plants idea, it's all cool, LOL. I wouldn't actually expect you to send me any. That said.. What did you do in the transplant process to reduce shock? I mean, my experience with strawberries is that roughly half die when transplanted if *I* do it, but my yard isn't the most strawberry-friendly plot in the world. My mom didn't have more than a quarter or a third die when she got her plants, and they overran her garden by the next year.

...Not that -anyone- in the house was complaining at the abundance of strawberries that year. Tart breed or not, they're still very tasty. I think we've seeded no small portions of her town and mine with strawberry transplants from her garden over the years.
Old 23-Jun-2012, 03:00 PM (15:00)     5        45208
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

No doubt the problem with those plants the folks brought from their yard was that they had barerooted them in the summer. Nothing I did would have helped! I've not had problems with transplanting any that come in soil or compost.

The soil out west is mostly alkaline, often heavy clay, sometimes sand but I have none of the sand. Could be that's why my berries are so sweet? Dunno as I'm quite the haphazard horticulturalist!

Yeh, me too on the sprays - if it's good for me it's good for the earth. As for weeds, I hand pull unless they're the ones with roots way too deep and those I spray with plain old white vinegar. Might take a few shots but it's safe on people and pets and doesn't harm the birds or soil critters.
Old 23-Jun-2012, 11:05 PM (23:05)     6        45209
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
No doubt the problem with those plants the folks brought from their yard was that they had barerooted them in the summer. Nothing I did would have helped! I've not had problems with transplanting any that come in soil or compost.
...Yeah, bare-rooting plants in the middle of the hottest season of the year will kill them pretty dead, especially something that can be as delicate as strawberries. Silly people.

Quote:
The soil out west is mostly alkaline, often heavy clay, sometimes sand but I have none of the sand. Could be that's why my berries are so sweet? Dunno as I'm quite the haphazard horticulturalist!
Western Oregon; not a whole lot of sand (Thank goodness!), but definitely a lot of clay. And the soil on my lot in particular seems to be pretty depleted. When I have cooperative neighbors, I make efforts to try to rebuild the soil and get some pretty, tasty things in there.

I live in what used to be a single house, but is now a triplex, so if the neighbors only want to party and kick over my plants, there's not much point in trying.

Quote:
Yeh, me too on the sprays - if it's good for me it's good for the earth. As for weeds, I hand pull unless they're the ones with roots way too deep and those I spray with plain old white vinegar. Might take a few shots but it's safe on people and pets and doesn't harm the birds or soil critters.
I've never used vinegar. I either just go ahead and find a way to till the weeds under, and pull them up when they try to come back up, before they're big, or I use one of those things that pull them up by the roots and a handpick-thingie to loosen any packed dirt around. It's hard work, but I have some very small patches to work with.
Old 24-Jun-2012, 02:46 AM (02:46)     7        45214
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Tilling isn't an option in a lawn area. I have small blue grass patches and a large prairie lawn. In this area we have 5 weeds with roots so deep and so massive that they cannot successfully pulled, just killed. Which is why I use vinegar. In the food garden, I can pull since they don't get enough of a start there.

Neighbors who use your yard space - I see why you have containers!
Old 24-Jun-2012, 11:24 AM (11:24)     8        45219
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Yeah... I plant in the ground when I can, but aside from neighbors, there's also deer. So where there's a patch where I could stick something in the ground, there's a strong likelihood that whatever I stick there will get eaten.

Have I mentioned ever that I hate deer so, so, so much, unless it's on the dinner table?
Old 24-Jun-2012, 03:56 PM (15:56)     9        45221
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Venison is so fine.

I have rabbits! Which dog J loves to chase but can't catch. Former dog, a malamute cross, could and did - death on rabbits. He was after all the supreme predator.

Too far inside town to have deer tho my friend is close enough to open fields. She has a foto of a deer in her neighbor's yard, with a tomato in his mouth.
Old 25-Jun-2012, 08:08 AM (08:08)     10        45224
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Venison is delicious, especially when it tastes like revenge.

Rabbit is very tasty, too, but we don't have so many of those here. No, turkeys, we have in spades, and they are my other uhm... Archnemesis of the garden, I suppose. :P

Seriously, I have very intense daydreams about lying in wait for deer by my door with a crossbow or something, and turkeys are not far behind in such daydreams. There are times when I curse being within city limits.
Old 25-Jun-2012, 04:08 PM (16:08)     11        45226
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makbawehuh View Post
Venison is delicious, especially when it tastes like revenge.

Rabbit is very tasty, too, but we don't have so many of those here. No, turkeys, we have in spades, and they are my other uhm... Archnemesis of the garden, I suppose. :P

Seriously, I have very intense daydreams about lying in wait for deer by my door with a crossbow or something, and turkeys are not far behind in such daydreams. There are times when I curse being within city limits.
Wild turkeys? Yowza, best eating kind. Um, would it be legal to set a trap for the birds?

Rabbits. Rabbits. And more rabbits! They breed like, well, rabbits. Now is when I miss my old Malamute - my coonhound isn't much of a full range predator to keep the rabbit population down in the back yard as the Mal did.
Old 25-Jun-2012, 08:36 PM (20:36)     12        45227
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Malamutes, in my experience, will chase and kill anything small that moves, if they can catch it. my parents had two, and while the cats were okay (The malamutes were chicken shit and were afraid of the claws) the chickens, ducks, rabbits, and basically everything else we had in our menagerie of farm animals that was smaller than the dogs, got killed.

Good dogs, it was just annoying as hell to lose the chickens and ducks when the dogs found a way through the fence. No eggs, and no duck for thanksgiving dinner.

I don't know how legal laying traps for the turkeys are. My big fear is that if I did that, I might catch one of the cats. And I'd need someone to pawn all the damned turkey off on.... Not that it would be too hard. *hasn't yet met a fowl that she cares to eat, save duck*
Old 26-Jun-2012, 05:09 AM (05:09)     13        45229
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Those northern breeds still have the full predator response. My guy did love cats, tho. They didn't cotton to him at all, except for one little black and white kitten he spotted in the adoption cage at a local pet store. He just flopped right there and the kitten kept patting his paw.
Old 26-Jun-2012, 06:39 AM (06:39)     14        45230
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

D'aww. It's so cute when small animals and big ones are cute together. Did you take the kitten home?
Old 26-Jun-2012, 03:07 PM (15:07)     15        45231
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

I was so tempted; the big guy obviously wanted that little one for a companion. But the dog before had a promise from me after our other 2 big boys went down. (Well, one was small, about 25 pounds, but thought he was big.) I promised my old girl that from that time on, since I was then old and disabled and not wealthy, I would always have just one animal companion in order to have both money and energy to properly take care of my little friend. I will not break that promise. So I didn't adopt.
Old 27-Jun-2012, 04:47 AM (04:47)     16        45237
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Well, promises are very important, and if you can't take care of more than one, then you definitely did the kitten a favor. I hope.

I keep saying I won't get more cats, and then people decide I need one.
Old 27-Jun-2012, 04:28 PM (16:28)     17        45240
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Yeh, you ever notice how many folks always know exactly what you should do? And keep on telling you so!

I've gotten so I just listen politely, nod, and then go do what I know I need to do. Saves arguing and stress.
Old 27-Jun-2012, 05:29 PM (17:29)     18        45242
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

I have a zillion wild strawberries - very small, but very sweet and tasty - in my garden. No deer.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2012, 06:39 PM (18:39)     19        45243
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Lovely. Did you plant them or did they plant themselves?
Old 28-Jun-2012, 02:35 AM (02:35)     20        45244
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

They planted themselves somehow, and they are invasive on the paths. The true wild strawberry, Fragaria vesca, small but very sweet.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jun-2012, 03:40 AM (03:40)     21        45245
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Yeh, you ever notice how many folks always know exactly what you should do? And keep on telling you so!

I've gotten so I just listen politely, nod, and then go do what I know I need to do. Saves arguing and stress.
See, the problem with this approach is that when they tell me, they have the kitten in hand, usually, and "Oh by the way, I can't keep taking care of it and no one else wants it..."

Me: Well, that's nice. Why don't you hit the "guilt" button a little harder?! Better yet, why don't you get your animals fixed?

But then I take the kitten, because kittens + bags + rivers make me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurdur View Post
No deer.
....You are so very, very lucky.
Old 28-Jun-2012, 02:20 PM (14:20)     22        45250
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

In the case of a kitten or puppy, I take him/her and proceed to find a good home which is not that hard to do here since there are no kill shelters, and even the kill shelters always find homes for the young. And in case of repeated "breedings" I notify places like SPCA who will take action to get the mamas spayed!

So, I reckon that's still listening politely and then doing what I know I need to do!

Gurdur: that's when invasive plants are not called weeds as they are wanted! Hmm, wonder if I could find some wild strawberry plants at one of the nurseries here; they often do have plants like that.
Old 29-Jun-2012, 01:02 AM (01:02)     23        45259
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Most people are overrun with pets around here, as far as I can tell, because in the backwaters of Oregon, people are too stupid to get their animals fixed.

*cue banjos*

Okay, not everyone, but it feels that way. And unfortunately, we only have one local no-kill shelter, which is... Overrun. I seriously don't know how they are still running.