The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Travel and shopping
Reload this Page Shopping for shoes
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: ,

Shopping for shoes

Old 14-Jul-2012, 03:02 PM (15:02)     1        45298
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Shopping for shoes

Yesterday was Friday the 13th, a day a friend and I call our lucky day, a good excuse to go to lunch and get in some shopping.

We stopped at one of those big shoe stores, DSW, which I like since they do have better organization of the shoes so I don't go nutsto and get exhausted trying to find my size in a shoe I might like. I'd bought a pair of sandals there a month or so ago and had just received 2 ten buck coupons. I wanted a casual walking shoe. And I found one, Grasshoppers, like the old time sneakers. After using the coupon they cost me just 16 bucks with tax.

It was a good experience as while I was trying on various sport shoes and my friend was looking for something casual for her NY trip next month, a saleswoman came by to ask how I was doing. She listened to what I was looking for and proceeded to select and bring to me! Turns out she was the manager and very kind and pleasant to an old (in years) customer. It's not easy for me to find shoes that fit well as my feet are different sizes and I have arthritis as well; so I do want the best I can find for my feet.

So it was a great shopping experience which will make those comfy shoes a lot more enjoyable over the years.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2012, 04:00 PM (16:00)     2        45299
Never
Admin

administrator

Very nice. I always find shoe shopping frustrating as I'm picky (of course) and if I do see something interesting in those places, chances are they'll be out of my size. I'm too average in shoe size.

I however, did do some shoe shopping last night. Online. I was searching for a shoe I wear to work often that I wanted to replace with one not worn out. I got the same shoe, same size. Then I bumped into my favorite pair of most comfortable sandles (also looking worn out) only they had them in a pretty new color, so I got one and my daughter got a different color. These were at Urban Outfitters so I'm shopping like a teen. Picked up a top on ebay - we'll hope it looks ok.

I'm needing a few things as I don't shop for myself often and the "wardrobe" is getting shabby, so this is a start.

Enjoy your shoes!
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2012, 03:17 AM (03:17)     3        45309
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Wow, Never.. You could be speaking for me in the shoe shopping department, lol. My shoe size is average, but shoe-shopping is really... Unless I buy five or six pairs of shoes at once, I'm constantly on the lookout for new shoes. I am incredibly picky about my everyday shoes (I only wear sandals of certain specifications unless there's good reason not to. Snow doesn't count unless I'm walking more than a mile or it's under 2 degrees!), and since I walk constantly, I wear through them so fast it's not even funny. Since I'm such an average size in the foot arena, there's not even a point in hitting the stores most of the time. I will if I'm desperate, but... I think I've run into four pairs of shoes that fit my specifications in the last two years, in store, and two of those pairs were ninety bucks each.

....I talked the sales rep into letting me have them half off, since I overheard them say they were going on clearance the next day anyways, and I desperately needed shoes.

Also, ditto on the shabby wardrobe. Been working on mine off and on for the last six months. Need some new slacks, and five more t-shirts, and then I'll be good for a two week stint without doing laundry.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2012, 02:00 PM (14:00)     4        45318
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

I've given up trying to buy cheap sandals and wind up getting the Birks since they do fit well, are good for my feet, can be adjusted so easily, can be worn with socks when it's cold, can be repaired endlessly. In the long term, they are actually cheaper! On my first pair I'm on the 4th resole job.
Old 22-Jul-2012, 02:07 AM (02:07)     5        45321
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Nice. The problem is that by the time I am done with the sole, the rest of my shoe is usually ready to go, too... I uhm, am way hard on my shoes.

I can do that with my clogs though, if I'm careful to take them in as soon as I've got the rubber worn thin. If I'm not careful, I wear through the wood.
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Sep-2012, 10:10 PM (22:10)     6        45455
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Once again, yesterday my friend got me over to DSW. I still had 2 10 buck coupons which actually expired today! I wanted some winter, leather type walking shoes. Tried a few pairs, not the sport "walking" shoes, but some casuals. And wound up getting another pair of Grasshoppers, not the canvas type ones this time, but white leather. I remember to take in a pair of socks that I'd be wearing come winter! With the coupons, it was 21 bucks.

I definitely do like the way they have the shoes arranged. In some stores, once you've found a style you'd like to try, you have to hunt near and far for the sizes. Here, all the sizes are stored directly below the sample. Makes it a lot easier!

So now I'm fixed for shoes for a while. While I may have to eventually replace the Grasshoppers, those Birks will last - with repairs to soles and uppers - longer than I do, no matter how long I last!