The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Travel and shopping
Reload this Page Grocery Shopping
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: ,

Grocery Shopping

Old 17-Jul-2012, 04:29 PM (16:29)     1        45301
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Grocery Shopping

As I was filling out my grocery shopping list for the shopping trip today, I got to thinking about all the kinds of stores where we can shop: supermarkets, superstores, boutique groceries, farmers markets, ethnic groceries, and more.

Since I don't drive now, I do most of my shopping at the King Soopers (affiliate of Kroger's), a supermarket, when I go with my shopping buddy. It has the usual food items, non food items, a pharmacy, a florist, a Little Clinic, a bank, plus seasonal things like patio furniture and accessories, and of course greeting cards and wraps, magazines/books, videos to buy or rent, plus lottery tickets, a key making shop and more. Plus I like this supermarket over the others as it has the best overall prices, the best overall quality of produce, and offers many locally grown or made products, more than anywhere else here.

When I get a chance I'll go to the farmers market or other little stores.

Where do you shop? Weekly as I do or more/less often? One stop or many?
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jul-2012, 04:52 PM (16:52)     2        45302
Never
Admin

administrator

I shop at the local Kroger as it's the only big store in my small city. In the past I'd make a big shopping trip about once a week or so, but now that I'm full time at work I usually don't have time for a big trip and more important I'm not coordinated on what I need.

Since I pass the place every day coming home from work, if I've forgotten something I run in for it.

Items that are not available locally (including at stores in nearby cities), I use Amazon. We just found out the only pet store, a few cities over - where we had to go to get food for all the pets except the cat - will no longer carry the lizard food we've been buying for years. Just did an Amazon order. <sigh>

And of course, I try to never shop without my coupons. Been doing that for about 20 years.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jul-2012, 08:38 PM (20:38)     3        45303
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Used to love coupons! Now, however, I have to be very specific about what I eat - low sodium, no additives, nutrition for keeping my prediabetes pre. Since coupons rarely are for foods I can use, I don't bother any more. The only ones I use now are the ones King Soopers offers after the machine sees what I buy usually, as in TP, natural soaps, some other items. I also check their weekly sales ads and stock up especially when I have coupons for a buck or more off!

But I am retired so can plan my trips accordingly. And I'm feeding just one person and one dog now. Makes it easy to "plan" meals!
Old 21-Jul-2012, 03:00 AM (03:00)     4        45308
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

We have three grocery stores in town, plus a costco. I can't do Costco without someone else because it is way, way too far out of my way, and I can't carry the bulk stuff home if I'm walking, obviously. One of the grocery stores does discounted/getting ready to be out of expiration sort of stuff very cheap, and is ALSO way the hell out of my way, and there's nothing close by that I can use, so I think I've been there... Twice? Since I moved to Oregon. The biggest grocery store in town is a local chain (don't think it's small just 'cause it's a local chain- I've seen smaller Food4Less stores!), which is also pretty cheap, but the produce is iffy as hell.... and while not as far out of my way as the other two, I don't hike two miles to the store regularly. It has the place where I go to get bulk cat food/litter close by as well, and of course, wal-mart. Not my favorite place to shop, but when a girl needs cheap-ass shoes because she wore them out, it's good to have it close by!

And of course, right across the street is Sears. If I'm hitting one or more of those places, it's okay to go oggle the tool section, right?!

The third store is Safeway, which is expensive, but has the advantage of being a mile or so from my home, and the produce, while pricey, is also excellent. So... I do most of my produce shopping there, or (when I can get to it), a local farmer's market for meat and produce. I do most of my shopping there, on a frequent, how much can I carry? sort of basis. Considering the hill I live on, how much I can scary is a very, very valid question.

Closer still are an organic/raw foods store with some produce, as well as herbs and local, raw milk and cheese. I don't go there often, because it's expensive as hell, but if I need something specific and I can't find it elsewhere, sometimes I can find it there. Right across the street from there is the butcher. Same thing, very expensive and a place I rarely go to, but excellent quality.

Anything else I have to order through Amazon or a specialty place online. Bean thread noodles, anyone? I love them, and one would think that given that Asians are the largest minority in the area we'd have the noodles (and, for that matter, a couple asian markets!), but NO, I have to order them online.

At least Safeway wised up enough to start carrying kimchi and really good tofu. Edit: And miso. they only carried dried stuff for a couple years, so to get it fresh, I would have to buy it online and shipped overnight. 5 kilos of miso, which should be about five bucks, ended up being about forty with shipping. I got ice packs and coolers out of the deal too, though.... /edit

...Oh, god damnit, I left my kimchi at home. I knew I was forgetting something when I came over here. *sighs, tries to decide how important a jar of kimchi is....*

*decides she's not walking five miles for a damned jar of kimchi*

Edit: Shadowfox, I'm with you on the coupons. Local places seem to have finally figured out that I'm not going to start popping out babies, so I get coupons for things other than diapers now, but it's a rare day when I see coupons for something I'll actually use. When it is, nine times out of ten it's for yogurt.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk

Last edited by Makbawehuh; 21-Jul-2012 at 03:07 AM (03:07).
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2012, 01:56 PM (13:56)     5        45317
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Of the 3 majors here - Albertson's, Safeway, and King Soopers - not including the WalMart and such, the prices are highest to lowest. And generally the produce quality is the best of all places, except for farmers' markets, at King's.

We do have a Whole Foods but are they ever costly! And not that much better either. If at all. . . .

So glad I have a shopping buddy as well as a friend who likes to go to different stores and always asks me to go along if I want to. If I want to! . . .
Old 22-Jul-2012, 02:09 AM (02:09)     6        45322
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Of course you want to, lol! Shopping is fun when you aren't alone. :P
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Oct-2012, 02:37 PM (14:37)     7        45525
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Major Shopping Week

First the usual grocery trip on Monday. Then on Tuesday to Parker for the For Paws Bakery where we also stopped at Tea Leaves, the English style tea room, where I got a pack of black (Russian Caravan) and a pack of green (Gunpowder.) So now I'm stocked back up on loose leaf teas.

Then on Wednesday, a great friend who'd moved to the southern part of the state where they built a McMansion in the mountains outside of Trinidad came into town for us to spend the day together. First, as she's my PR, we went over some paperwork. Then off to grocery shop. First stop was the Vitamin Cottage which is now called Natural Grocers where she stocked up on what she can't find in Trinidad and then - wow - insisted I get a bunch of things the regular supermarkets don't carry while, yes~! she paid. Next to Safeway to which she'd given me a gift card for my birthday. My pantry is well stocked now!

Next lunch with our friend Diana. Then into town to the Cherry Creek Shopping Center mall. Valet parking! Wandered around while she did the Nieman Marcus thing and Ann Taylor thing. Mostly I sat while she tried on clothes. I was by that time getting a bit tired.

What a fabulous day!