The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page Gardening:  Rabbits in the garden
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: ,

Rabbits in the garden

Old 09-Aug-2012, 02:54 PM (14:54)     1        45385
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Rabbits in the garden

This year we have had quite a "bumper crop" of rabbits. I have crop circles (!) in my grass which is ok since grass will grow back. J the coonhound loves to chase them tho he sure can't tree them as they go to ground. He's tried to worm his way under the massive Old Gold Juniper where they hide when they're on that side of the yard.

For a time, it was every 2 weeks or so I spotted more babies! But I think the raptors finally discovered the bunny population; I've seen more of the prairie falcons circling and suspect owls at night. In the past week I've not noted any rabbits in the yards. None at all. Could be I'm just not out or looking out when they are out. But also J's not burst out of the house after them. Since after dark he's been bursting out at full run, then keeps going I suspect he's after the night prowling cats who of course can outrun him and go up and over the fence. They won't tree for him, either! So that's the presence of another rabbit predator.

The rabbits are kind of "cute" to watch but they sure are destructive. Fortunately they haven't bothered the herbs or veg but I'll be getting some tree wrap for a couple of small shoots for overwintering so they, if present, won't be nibbling the bark off and killing the young trees.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Aug-2012, 03:06 AM (03:06)     2        45390
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Yikes, rabbits... As bad as deer and turkeys. Crossbow? Rabbit is delicious when slow-roasted.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Aug-2012, 05:07 AM (05:07)     3        45392
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Rounder, the dog before Jackson, liked them raw, thank you. He was the northern breed with full predator ability and he could catch them. J can't.

Kept looking out all day today, front and back. Saw nary a rabbit. Not one. And that really does seem odd, how they've all vanished totally.
Old 10-Aug-2012, 07:30 AM (07:30)     4        45395
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth?
Old 10-Aug-2012, 05:28 PM (17:28)     5        45398
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

And yet - beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Another day and not a rabbit in sight. I've been looking, too. With windows on all sides of the house I have a good view. Nor has J burst out to run after one, nor does he at night to chase any cats in the yard. Nor do I see any evidence of where they are rooting to go under the fence since I raked the gravel and bark against the escape holes.

It is odd, tho, how they have just vanished.
Old 11-Aug-2012, 01:08 AM (01:08)     6        45399
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

It is odd, yet good for your garden.
Old 11-Aug-2012, 04:42 AM (04:42)     7        45402
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Actually saw one just before dark. Fleeing from J who obviously didn't notice. Out of the yard under the fence. I found the spot and shoved bark and a rock against it. He must have been on the lower terrace, probably hiding under the gold juniper when J walked by on the other side.

I didn't used to mind the rabbits but there got to be so many this year that they were far too destructive and work-making for me.
Old 11-Aug-2012, 09:47 AM (09:47)     8        45403
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Ya. Totally understandable.
Old 11-Aug-2012, 10:10 PM (22:10)     9        45406
DaughterOfLao

Ayup. And I agree, rabbit is nice, especially in stew.

I even tried once making hassenpfeffer. Yes, it is a real dish. Was okay, not my fave but interesting.
DaughterOfLao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2012, 10:47 PM (22:47)     10        45408
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

My grandmother used to make it as a roast, and served it in marinara, with the chili-pepper pasta she'd make and a salad, for Easter. Except for the rabbit, it was a pretty normal family dinner, but let's face it... It was tasty.
Old 11-Aug-2012, 11:56 PM (23:56)     11        45411
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

My mom used to cook rabbit, roast mostly, till it got really hard to find in the stores. I remember liking it, but I'm no hunter or trapper so the ones here are safe - from me anyway!

Did see one out front this afternoon, but none of the many out running about and making out.