The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page Food in general:  Restaurants
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags: , , , ,

Restaurants

Old 26-Jan-2013, 03:46 PM (15:46)     1        45744
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Default Restaurants

So yesterday a friend wanted to go to a buffet type restaurant rather than the one I'd chosen (which has healthier food and not so salty.) Since I was treating as a special thank you, I said ok.

The problem with buffet style is that I always eat too much and suffer the consequences later, not just in weight gain, but in overnight water weight gain. I much prefer those places where you can box up and take home what is way more than you want to eat at any one sitting.

Besides, if I'm going to have to leave a tip, I want service!

What's your feeling about buffet style? What kind of eating place do you prefer - besides your own kitchen?
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2013, 12:06 AM (00:06)     2        45745
Seeker630

Living alone, I rarely eat out. But I have to say that the food in most buffet places I've been in recent years has been sub-par. I've had mac and cheese at a couple of them that I could have bested with a box of Kraft right at home.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jan-2013, 02:42 PM (14:42)     3        45748
alicat
faithless and unreasonable

I don't like traditional feeding trough type buffets for same reasons. Whole Foods and Earth Fare have a la carte areas set up in buffet type format with soups, prepared foods, salads etc., mostly tasty healthy food. You take only what you want and pay for that and can eat there or take it home and no leaving tips wither way.
alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Feb-2013, 03:08 AM (03:08)     4        45758
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I could make a flow chart, but it's a really simple decision tree for me. Is someone else doing the paying and choosing? If yes, then whatever they want is fine. I'll make do. If no, then I'd prefer to make something at home.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Feb-2013, 06:26 PM (18:26)     5        45759
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

For me it doesn't really matter who's paying since my health is a concern and certain foods - well not the food but the crud that's in it - are a serious problem.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote