The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Food, drinks and gardening
Reload this Page Learning:  Plant Based Cooking
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags:

Plant Based Cooking

Old 23-Feb-2013, 12:06 AM (00:06)     1        45762
AspenMama

Default Plant Based Cooking

Hello-- I know I haven't been around much, but I thought I'd pop by and see what's happening. I've been experimenting with a very low fat sort of diet. It's being coined as "plant based". As you can already guess, it is similar to a vegan diet in that you avoid all animal based products - no meat, dairy, etc. But beyond that, you attempt to avoid all fats and oils as much as possible. I'm trying this in an effort to lower my cholesterol- I have no other great philosophical dilemnas about the consumption of meat.

I've found a few great websites to help me in this quest. Here's one: http://fatfreevegan.com/. Check out her lasagna recipe:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03...e-lasagna.html. All the meat eaters I've served this to absolutely love it, even my husband. The changes I've made include the addition of sauteed diced onion to the sauce and adding fresh basil leaves during the last 10 minutes to crisp up on top.

Here's another great site I found too: http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/about/

Has anyone else tried eating this way?
AspenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2013, 02:29 PM (14:29)     2        45763
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

I have about 20 years ago done the total vegan style, but not fat free, after some blood work showed liver problems with all further tests for hepatitis as negative. Worked so that 6 months later and ever since my tests are normal even tho I've gone back to eating meat. What surprised me is that honey is also disallowed in vegan style diets.

In the long run, however, total vegan does not work for me as it did ultimately leave me quite low in energy. I suspect that individual metabolisms dictate what works for that individual.

Having done lots of "research" into nutrition, the use of carbs/proteins/fats, I found that we do need a certain amount of fats in order to function. Some parts of the body require fat. However, I do avoid as much as possible saturated fats, and go for unsats, and polyunsats. Specifically, as Mediterranean folks already knew, olive oil, now touted in EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). If desired, butter really is ok if it's without added salt or flavorings, and a whole lot better than margarine with its trans fats. Any animal protein I consume must come from sustainably raised or hook-and-line wild caught (fish) and humanely killed animals. Hard to find, I know, as well as expensive; but not only is the quality higher it's not that expensive when I don't buy very much of it.

My later ventures into plant based involved using mostly plants but also some animal proteins which for me are rarely meat red or otherwise, but usually fish (wild caught salmon mostly and tuna which I like but not the cheap tuna which has salt and water and soy added). The animal protein is used as bits for flavoring or tiny portions with the plate full mostly of plants such as cooked veg and salads, and is not eaten every day. Protein comes from that contained in the carbs, especially legumes.

One thing I strictly limit is salt (sodium) as I am highly salt sensitive! (water retention which increases blood pressure for me.) Another group of things I absolutely avoid is the huge group of additives, so many of which are toxic in one form or another, such as mutagenic, neurogenic, carcinogenic, and many more. So rather than experiment and continue to research 10,000 substances allowed in food (and other products) I just totally avoid all of them. I know some, such as MSG, cause headaches in me; some such as bisulfites cause asthma attacks in me.

I do eat a great deal of yogurt. Without dairy, it's really hard to get enough calcium and I don't like supplements which really do not have the same affect as the vitamins and minerals as contained in food. And my old bones do want calcium in its natural state which means it's combined with all the accompanying minerals that make it work.

Generally I follow the glycemic index and load, as well as the anti-inflammatory diet (not weight loss diets tho they can do that but general nutrition dietary regimens.) Personally I don't like soy so don't use it. But I do combine legumes with low GI grains.

Probably more info here than AM asked for but just thought I'd throw in my nutrition experiments.

But let me tell you, folks, AM's vegan lasagne is amazing! Yum. Even if I don't like soy (tofu in this case.)

ETA: BTW, every time I've read about plant based, it refers to mostly plants with very little animal protein. I've not seen AM's references before.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2013, 11:31 PM (23:31)     3        45765
AspenMama

Thanks Shadowfox for the compliment! I appreciate the details that you provided!

This diet is not really what I would consider vegan- it goes beyond vegan to avoid most processed foods and of course the fats and oils. I've found that the standard vegan diet is often full of fats and processed foods. Also, while I advocate for the humane treatment of animals, I don't go so far as to agree with the entire vegan philosophy around animals. Basically, I don't feel like it's wrong to use animals for food. After all, everything we eat was once alive somehow- including plants. However, I completely respect those of you who think differently.

Other than tofu, I'm not a fan of meat and dairy analogs- seiten, fake hot dogs, bacon or vegan mayonaise, butter, cheese, etc. That's why I was excited to find the "Straight Up Food" site recently. She doesn't use any of those things in her recipes. If there's any interest, I'll post some more links to plant based eating.

This is a very slow process for me to switch over to this way of eating. I don't feel like I can yet report back on its benefits until I've actually eaten this way exclusively for a few weeks.
Old 24-Feb-2013, 11:49 PM (23:49)     4        45766
Seeker630

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenMama View Post

Other than tofu, I'm not a fan of meat and dairy analogs- seiten, fake hot dogs, bacon or vegan mayonaise, butter, cheese, etc. -----
I tried the fake hot dogs once-------took one bite of the first one, and the rest I walked out to the dumpster. Damn they were awful.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2013, 01:11 AM (01:11)     5        45767
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Changing your eating style takes a very long time. I've been experimenting with it for years but finally I think I've come close. Have patience and if something doesn't work, don't get discouraged. What I've had to do is adapt to my own metabolism; what works for some doesn't work for all.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 08:06 PM (20:06)     6        45768
Makbawehuh
Doctor Ragnarok

Location: The darkest corners of your imagination. Or maybe right next to you. I'm not telling!

I've never tried strictly plant based cooking. A lot of what I do is vegetarian, with a good deal of pasta, olive oil, and veggies, with a goodly splash of dairy in the form of cheese, and a lesser splash of meat for the sake of flavor sometimes, but I don't really do vegan. For one, I just like meat, cheese, and yogurt, and I have no moral issues with it.

Most of what I do when I actually *cook* isn't terribly pre-processed, so I'm not overly worried about the pre-processed stuff in other diets- It's not what I do anyways.

Also, I love tofu, but I'm right there with AspenMama about the meat analogs, for a couple of reasons. For one, if someone is a vegan for ethical reasons, then replacing a thing with stuff that's supposed to be like it, only veggie, kinda defeats the purpose and kills the spirit in which the veganism is intended. For two, as Seeker has pointed out, much of it's just freakin' nasty. You don't need the stuff to make tasty, vegetarian meals.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to run like a little bitch!" ~Kanta, Desert Punk
Makbawehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2013, 09:57 PM (21:57)     7        45769
AspenMama

All very good points!

I don't know if I'll be able to succeed at this diet at all -- I've got 5 people in my house all with different eating ideas. My main goal is to lower my cholesterol and from everything I've been reading lately- dairy products are bad news.

It might just be that I'll make this a majority of my diet.
Old 26-Feb-2013, 04:46 AM (04:46)     8        45770
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

What I've been reading about plant based eating boils down to half your plate with veg which is usually piled high, quarter with meat/fish and quarter with whole grains. Problem with eliminating dairy is loss of calcium and that's tough to get with just veg. There's always nonfat yogurt. Well, the plate shouldn't be huge! I reckon some meals can use legumes or shrooms in place of the meat/fish. A portion of meat/fish is about the size of a deck of cards.

Something a friend is using successfully to lower her cholesterol (but I dunno if it really works or if it's some other dietary change) is coconut water. Some folks now are swearing by it but what the heck is it anyway? Water? or is it what I call coconut milk, the liquid inside the coconut. Ya got me.

Interesting sort of an aside: my last blood work, non fasting, showed a blood sugar of 93 and that's super for me. Cholesterol ok.

I think you can handle 5 views. Maybe allow each to choose from the offerings which can be varied each meal but actually been plant based, based that is and not vegetarian or vegan. More meat for the meat eaters sort of thing and less for those who want to limit it.

BTW, what I've seen lately is the news that eggs are not the devils of cholesterol they were formerly touted to be. Good thing since I do like eggs for breakfast, especially omelet style, when I don't do oatmeal from steel cut oats.
Old 27-Feb-2013, 07:04 PM (19:04)     9        45771
AspenMama

It sounds like you are doing great with your diet choices!

We must be reading different ideas about plant based diets! Everything I've read about it totally eliminates all meat and animial products.

Here's one book I've read and its website: http://engine2diet.com/

And another site that talks about calcium: http://pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/veg...er-kit-calcium

Here's a good documentary: http://www.forksoverknives.com/

As far as calcium, plant based advocates hold that consuming animal based calcium products does more to leech calcium from your body than to build it up.

The best dinner nights at my house are the "make your own" variety-- I'll provide all the fixings for tacos or pizza and everyone gets to choose what they want to put on there. But if I make pasta or chili, I always end up making it two ways. My house contains a meat and potatoes very little veggie eater, a tot, a vegetarian teen, a teen who'll eat anything and everything and then myself. Maybe I'll try to expand my make your own dinner repatoire.

Yeah it seems like coconut water is a big fad right now. I don't know about it much.
Old 27-Feb-2013, 07:21 PM (19:21)     10        45772
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

The latest I've read is from the American Cancer Society on nutrition and stresses plant based diets - which does include animal products. The thing about animal protein leaching calcium is too much red meat does that, as does coffee!

Other than your references I've seen no plant based diets that don't include animal protein. Other than total vegan but I've not seen that referred to as plant based. Odd that, isn't it? We sure must research different areas - mine are not online but the written word, including all the stuff I get from the ACS, and other latest data.
Old 27-Feb-2013, 08:55 PM (20:55)     11        45773
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Ok, got some referencesa you can google.

Mediterranean diet - the ongoing NIH/AARP Diet and Health Study - sticking to the eating patterns of Greece southern Italy cuts risk of death from all causes by 20 percent. The diet does allow a tiny bit of red meat but includes a whole lot of fish and of course olive oil as a healthy fat.

Tulane University study - legumes at least 4 times a week lowers heart disease rick by 22 percent.

Reports in Journal of the National Cancer institute.

Dr. Andrew Weil's anti-inflammatory wellness diet.