The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Towards a moderate, middle-ground in the atheist movement
Reload this Page Ron Lindsay's Talk at WiS
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Ron Lindsay's Talk at WiS

Old 08-Jun-2013, 04:40 AM (04:40)     1        47192
Notung

Default Ron Lindsay's Talk at WiS

Just wrote a letter of support:

http://www.skepticink.com/notung/201...t-ron-lindsay/

I encourage others to send their opinions to CFI.
Notung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Jun-2013, 12:40 PM (12:40)     2        47199
Vjack

I have compiled a few of the letters of support I have seen at http://revolutionaryatheist.tumblr.c...is-ron-lindsay. I suspect I've missed some, but it is good to see the support he is receiving. FtB appears to be ramping up their campaign against him, and I've heard that CFI may be meeting about it as early as next week, so now is the time to let them hear from us.
Vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-Jun-2013, 04:56 AM (04:56)     3        47213
D4M10N
Stochastic Counterinsurgent

I've written them as well. Hopefully, we can demonstrate to the board that Ron has significant support to balance out the smear campaign from certain quarters. If the social justice warriors win this battle, I'm going to shave my head and burn my CFI lifetime membership card on YouTube.
D4M10N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-Jun-2013, 06:41 PM (18:41)     4        47217
D4M10N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notung View Post
Just wrote a letter of support:

http://www.skepticink.com/notung/201...t-ron-lindsay/

I encourage others to send their opinions to CFI.
Posted my public support just now:
http://www.skepticink.com/background...t-ron-lindsay/

Bit of a rush job, please tell me if you find any errors.
Old 09-Jun-2013, 10:08 PM (22:08)     5        47223
EdwardGemmer

These kinds of "outrage" make me embarrassed to be an atheist. Literally - how can you explain these things to normal people? Some guy asked some girl for coffee in an elevator and now everyone hates each other. The CEO of some group put on a conference for women and gave a speech where he said he didn't think telling people to shut up is effective and now everyone hates him. You can quickly land in outer space being an atheist.
EdwardGemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jun-2013, 03:14 AM (03:14)     6        47226
Vjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardGemmer View Post
These kinds of "outrage" make me embarrassed to be an atheist. Literally - how can you explain these things to normal people? Some guy asked some girl for coffee in an elevator and now everyone hates each other. The CEO of some group put on a conference for women and gave a speech where he said he didn't think telling people to shut up is effective and now everyone hates him. You can quickly land in outer space being an atheist.
I suppose it is a humbling reminder that being an atheist is no guarantee of being reasonable, skeptical, or engaging in critical thinking. I suppose one of the lessons of "the great rift," is that a dogmatic ideology does not have to include references to the supernatural in order to be destructive.
Old 10-Jun-2013, 04:10 PM (16:10)     7        47228
D4M10N

Quote:
Literally - how can you explain these things to normal people?
I've never been able to explain internet shenanigans to normal people, and that despite having plenty of opportunities to do so. Try explaining to someone who only uses FB under their real name why it is vitally important to protect pseudonymity in most instances, and they just give you the puzzled puppy ¼ head tilt. Try explaining why people insist on rageblogging about each other even when they have multiple direct lines of communication, and they will just laugh. Try explaining how events in a Dublin elevator became somehow pivotal to American atheism, generating a massive blog campaign for anti-harassment policies and a dedicated opposition party? Don't even try it.

When it comes to online drama, I've seriously had more productive conversations with door-knocking gospel-mongers.

Old 11-Jun-2013, 12:09 PM (12:09)     8        47240
Gurdur
Very professional penguin

administrator

Good to see smilies slowly being discovered.
Gurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jun-2013, 09:12 PM (21:12)     9        47280
D4M10N

Lightbulb List of Lindsay supporters

I wrote a post, then scrubbed it. Going to do a Storify instead.

Last edited by D4M10N; 12-Jun-2013 at 09:22 PM (21:22).
Old 13-Jun-2013, 08:57 PM (20:57)     10        47296
D4M10N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjack View Post
I have compiled a few of the letters of support I have seen at http://revolutionaryatheist.tumblr.c...is-ron-lindsay. I suspect I've missed some, but it is good to see the support he is receiving. FtB appears to be ramping up their campaign against him, and I've heard that CFI may be meeting about it as early as next week, so now is the time to let them hear from us.

I've also been trying to collect all the supportive letters and posts (not including tweets) in one place for easy reference: http://sfy.co/bL4y

Please let me know if I missed anyone.
Old 17-Jun-2013, 08:48 PM (20:48)     11        47337
An Ardent Skeptic

CFI board issues a statement:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/news...statement_wis/
An Ardent Skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2013, 11:59 PM (23:59)     12        47348
EdwardGemmer

I can understand the frustration people have for such a statement. OTOH, since the supposed "crimes" were piffle, I don't object to a piffle statement either. I wish we could have a "Deep Rift" conference, where people actually talk to each other about what bothers them instead of just ignoring it then rageblogging.
EdwardGemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2013, 12:39 AM (00:39)     13        47350
DianeBruce
Not a geek.. Nope. Not me.

Quote:
I can understand the frustration people have for such a statement. OTOH, since the supposed "crimes" were piffle, I don't object to a piffle statement either. I wish we could have a "Deep Rift" conference, where people actually talk to each other about what bothers them instead of just ignoring it then rageblogging.
I think some of us are capable of entertaining an idea without getting upset and reacting emotionally. Some people are not.
DianeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2013, 10:46 PM (22:46)     14        47353
BrenWeb
Apprentice Empress (ret.)

Ah, so it is only three paragraphs, I thought my tech problems were keeping me from reading the whole thing the other day. Well, I guess CFI thinks about as much of the offense some have taken to RL about as seriously as I have. Either that or they need a much better PR director/press release writer.
BrenWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2013, 07:01 AM (07:01)     15        47391
An Ardent Skeptic

Ron Lindsay issues an apology:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blog..._talk_at_wis2/
Old 23-Jun-2013, 01:51 PM (13:51)     16        47392
An Ardent Skeptic

Ophelia Benson has called Lindsay's remarks "chilly,but...a step"

Russell Blackford considers Lindsay's apology "a terrible thing for Ron to do. He has handed a victory to the people who bully, vilify, and intimidate."

I have never demanded an apology before, but have decided that it's time I did:

I demand that everyone apologize to everyone else for their failure to please everyone all of the time. If I do not get the apology I feel I deserve from absolutely everyone, I will demand that everyone boycott everyone else all of the time.

Apologize or else!!!
Old 24-Jun-2013, 02:36 AM (02:36)     17        47401
BrenWeb
Apprentice Empress (ret.)

Well, that should settle the whole matter! Now we can get on to more important things, right? So what do you all think, Superman = Jesus, amIrite?
BrenWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-2013, 04:53 AM (04:53)     18        47403
DianeBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenWeb View Post
Well, that should settle the whole matter! Now we can get on to more important things, right? So what do you all think, Superman = Jesus, amIrite?
Only if you can make a cross out of red kryptonite.
Old 24-Jun-2013, 05:07 AM (05:07)     19        47404
DianeBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenWeb View Post
Only if you can make a cross out of red kryptonite.
Old 26-Jun-2013, 07:54 PM (19:54)     20        47428
DianeBruce

Fallout from talk https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rx4/edit?pli=1
The twitter feed is full of support for the resignation. Sad and painful but probably inevitable.
Old 26-Jun-2013, 08:01 PM (20:01)     21        47429
D4M10N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeBruce View Post
The twitter feed is full of support for the resignation. Sad and painful but probably inevitable.
If people working for CFI cannot handle just a wee bit of critical thinking pointed in their own direction, probably it is best for them to move on to some place which isn't founded on the primacy of free and open inquiry.
Old 26-Jun-2013, 08:37 PM (20:37)     22        47430
Rogering_Rabbit

I apologise! Please forgive me already. I'll self-flagellate for a whole month if you'll please, please, just forgive me!
Rogering_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2013, 09:53 PM (21:53)     23        47431
Vjack

On the subject of reactions to Ron Lindsay's talk and how some FtB bloggers are behaving, I thought this was an interesting read:

http://www.jasonwester.com/?p=829
Old 26-Jun-2013, 10:23 PM (22:23)     24        47432
Aneris
❤❤❤❤❤♡♡

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4M10N View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeBruce View Post
If people working for CFI cannot handle just a wee bit of critical thinking pointed in their own direction, probably it is best for them to move on to some place which isn't founded on the primacy of free and open inquiry.
I heard (unverfied) that the producer mentioned there Adam Isaak, is boy/friend of Rebecca Watson. In other words, his girl/friend harshly attacked his boss, it went into an argument which makes it difficult for him to work in that environment.

And Chris Mooney had relationships with Mother Jones before. There was well-informed speculation in the Slymepit that they anyway wanted to move on, but the current situation provided a good exit scenario with free dramadvertisement.