The Heathen Hub

A community where people can talk about atheism, religion, science, humanism, evolution, politics, Creationism, literature, reason, rational enquiry, logic, cooking, reading, travel and life.

Spacer
To select different styles:

Spacer Go Back   The Heathen Hub   >  General   >  Philosophy, logic and mathematics
Reload this Page Society & humanism:  humanism
Spacer

Spacer   Spacer

Tags:

humanism

Old 17-Sep-2012, 04:32 AM (04:32)     1        45466
mick

Default humanism

So this came up else where and i wondered what you guys would think. What does humanism mean for you?
how do you experience it?
How do you express it?

If someone argues humanism is impossible and all humanist are liars telling you to prove it, how would you respond?

Context would you die to save a thousand people thread.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2012, 06:27 PM (18:27)     2        45467
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

I suppose I think of it as very simply caring for other people, but extend it to living beings. Wanting the best for others, doing the best I can, to live the best way I know in order not to overuse earth's resources and so deprive others.

If someone told me to prove it, I'd smile and simply walk away since by this time of life I realize all they want is argument and agreement with their point of view. It's not worth my time and energy to engage in futile debates. If however, one is truly interested in learning, then I'll take some time to discuss, tho my views are so very simple now.

Would I give my life? Maybe. Depends on the circumstances.
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2012, 01:38 AM (01:38)     3        45468
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I suppose I think of it as very simply caring for other people, but extend it to living beings. Wanting the best for others, doing the best I can, to live the best way I know in order not to overuse earth's resources and so deprive others.

If someone told me to prove it, I'd smile and simply walk away since by this time of life I realize all they want is argument and agreement with their point of view. It's not worth my time and energy to engage in futile debates. If however, one is truly interested in learning, then I'll take some time to discuss, tho my views are so very simple now.

Would I give my life? Maybe. Depends on the circumstances.
beautiful. I tend to suggest looking at the little things for "evidence" of humanism. the need a penny take a penny have a penny give a penny. some one who held a door open for you. that smile... i remember i was having a horrible day and i was randomly walking around the mall. some random chick ran up to me says that i look sad and like i need a hug and gave me a hug. People are decent and the evidence is everywhere.

On a large scale i do not think society could function as we know it with our a fundamental human decency .

On a side note nice to meet you. Im not new but im sure i seem knew to you. so hello.
Old 18-Sep-2012, 02:33 AM (02:33)     4        45473
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Definitely glad to meet you. I've not been around here long.

And glad to know another who thinks about those little random acts of kindness. We don't all have to be major philanthropists - nor can we! Sometimes it's just the touch of a hand or a smile that helps someone along the way.
Old 18-Sep-2012, 02:36 AM (02:36)     5        45476
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Definitely glad to meet you. I've not been around here long.

And glad to know another who thinks about those little random acts of kindness. We don't all have to be major philanthropists - nor can we! Sometimes it's just the touch of a hand or a smile that helps someone along the way.
I would say more often then not. Some times i like to dream of the butter fly effect of these small things and see what they lead.
Old 30-Dec-2012, 04:54 AM (04:54)     6        45734
kriswest

Humanism means promoting the evolution of the human species, if all animals are not fit to live and breed why are humans any different? Should we not be stricter with human criteria? Why is it ok to euthanize an animal for genetic defects and not a human?
How can we be particular about animals and not ourselves?
kriswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2012, 05:13 PM (17:13)     7        45735
Shadowfox
The Hub's RL Senior

Probably because most humans don't see themselves as animals but some sort of superior beings. But I'm strongly against euthanasia of other animals unless they are seriously sick and in pain. Too often I've seen some humans put their pets down for their own personal convenience - such as one woman putting down 2 young and healthy dogs because her fiance did not want dogs. So if euthanasia for any reason were ok for humans, it would probably lead right on to the same sort of convenience whether for genetic reasons or just for genocide of some unapproved religion/ethnicity/race.

Anyway, nature takes care of evolution - if we blow it, we go the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 28-Jan-2013, 03:17 PM (15:17)     8        45746
alicat
faithless and unreasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswest View Post
Humanism means promoting the evolution of the human species, if all animals are not fit to live and breed why are humans any different? Should we not be stricter with human criteria? Why is it ok to euthanize an animal for genetic defects and not a human?
How can we be particular about animals and not ourselves?
But for a slightly different circumstance of birth, that person with a
"defect" could be your sibling, your child or you. How would you treat that person if it was your child? Humanism means we are all a family, we don't pick and choose and manipulate how to make our family evolve to be what we want. Functional family members treat members of the human family with compassion and acceptance. I think it is possible, but difficult in our goal driven modern mentality.
alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Feb-2013, 05:14 PM (17:14)     9        45752
Seeker630

I am a member of the American Humanist Association. "Humanist" can mean different things to different people. One of the most important aspects of it for me is that it implies living knowing that only humans can solve human problems. Nothing supernatural exists as far as I can tell. So praying for supplication to some deity, wholly imagined, is a complete waste of time and has never solved any problems.
Seeker630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Feb-2013, 12:12 AM (00:12)     10        45755
alicat
faithless and unreasonable

So instead of prayer, people vote for politicians and make petitions and expect human authorities to solve human problems. At least gods don't hack things up more. Lot more to the universe than human problems.
alicat is offline   Reply With Quote